This directory also includes physical and mineralogical information
In relation to crystal healing and for the purpose of this directory, all crystals, minerals, non-minerals and rocks are referred to generically as ‘crystals’. Regardless of their composition or classification, they all come from the Earth, are natural and possess specific energy vibrations which make them suitable for healing work. For a general explanation and true definition of a crystal, a mineral and so on, click here to go to Fascinating Facts.
Crystals are the Earth’s gift to humankind – tools for knowledge, enlightenment and healing - and as such, every crystal has a task or mission to perform. A crystal’s mission never changes, but different people can experience a wide range of effects from the same stone. For example, the mission of Blue Lace Agate is to calm and soothe the mental and emotional bodies, and it is associated with the Throat Chakra. Yet, its effects vary from person to person according to his or her needs: in one person, it might relieve nervous tension in the neck (Throat Chakra), in another the stomach (Solar Plexus), and so on.
Understanding a crystal’s mission or purpose, and not simply its effects, provides a deeper
and more holistic approach of how to use that crystal most effectively. There are no fixed rules - it is an instinctive process but below is a general guide which we hope you may find of help.
Babies, Small Children and Crystals
A Brief Guide and Precautions – click here to read more
Must Have Crystal Selections
At the end of the A to Z listing we have provided several of what we consider to be ‘Must Have’ crystal selections, which include:
Crystal Healing Basics
High Vibration Lightworker’s Crystals (other than Ascension specific)
Auto Aura Cleansing and/or Balancing Crystals
Crystals for the New Age
Properties of Quartz
For the purpose of this listing – giving metaphysical properties as well as physical and mineralogical ones - we have listed all variations of Quartz separately. There are also separate entries for Quartz from different locations which have become known for their specific properties such as Tibetan or Arkansas Quartz. There are also entries for other specific Quartz formations, like Strawberry Quartz and Spirit Quartz. Below, however, is a brief explanation of Quartz and its family members. Those in bold have their own entry in this guide.
Quartz is made of Silicon Dioxide. The word Quartz comes from the Greek ‘krystallos’ meaning ice. It is from the Silicate class of minerals and is the most common form found on the planet - it is found in almost every type of rock and accounts for 12% of the Earth’s crust. The Quartz group includes the macroscopic (large) crystals Amethyst, Citrine, Clear Quartz, Rose Quartz and Smokey Quartz. The cryptocrystalline (microscopic crystal) varieties of the Quartz group include Chalcedony or Agate and these Agates have many different types divided mainly by colour. Some examples are: Chrysoprase (green agate), Sard (yellow-brown Agate), Sardonxy (banded Sard), Onyx (usually black or white Agate), Carnelian (orange Agate), Jasper (mixed or impure Agate found in many colours) and Bloodstone (green Agate with flecks of Red Jasper).
A to Z Listing
A / B / C / D / E / F / G / H / I / J / K / L / M / N / O / P / Q / R / S / T / U / V / W / X / Y / Z
- Abalone (also known as Paua Shell in New Zealand) although not a crystal or mineral, is widely used in jewellery and has its own particular healing properties. It is a mollusc or shellfish with a beautiful, iridescent interior to its shell, which is actually created by a coating of ‘nacre’ or Mother of Pearl, and with a stunning range of colours. Abalone has a calming energy and can be of use in emotionally charged situations; soothing the emotions and settling the spirit, whilst promoting co-operation between parties. It also promotes psychic development and intuition, and enhances creativity. Abalone resonates with the first three chakras; Root, Spleen and Sacral, but due to its gorgeous shimmering colours, it also works well with the Brow or Third Eye chakra. Physically it is said to be of use for arthritis (osteo- and rheumatoid) and other joint problems, plus disorders of the muscles and digestive tract.
- Agate is a variety of Chalcedony which is a microcrystalline (tiny crystal) variety of Quartz. It takes its name from its prime occurrence, in Acate which is in the Ragusa Province of Sicily in Italy. Agates are often found with distinct bands and are composed of layers of quartz, sometimes of differing colours. When it is concentrically banded it is generally referred to as ‘Agate’ (as with Blue Lace Agate) and when it is in flat layers or bands, it is generally referred to as ‘Onyx’. It comes in a very wide variety of colours from clear to purple, pink or rose, black, yellow, brown, green, orange and blue, and some are referred to with specific names rather than just by colour, such as Blue Lace Agate, Botswana Agate and Moss Agate.
The properties of Agate vary from stone to stone depending (mainly) on their colour, but all Agates share some common properties. Generally speaking in all its forms it is renowned for its ability to balance energy on all levels but especially for Yin/Yang balancing. Emotionally, Agate can be useful for dealing with feelings of envy by helping us to understand and accept the place or situation we found ourselves in that brought about the initial feelings. Through this understanding Agate helps ground the low-vibration energy (works well with feelings of jealously too), releasing us to progress more freely with our spiritual development. Agate is also known to enhance creativity making it an excellent stone for artists. It is also a very protective stone (in all its forms) and is particularly good for children. Let them choose a piece to put under their pillow at night, or place on the bedside table, to guard against unpleasant dreams. Of course, NEVER give little crystals or tumble stones to small children or babies because they may present a choking hazard. Small carvings may be a good idea for younger children or perhaps try placing an Agate slice under a baby’s mattress (well out of reach). See also Blue Lace Agate, Botswana Agate and Moss Agate and Quartz properties.
- Almandine - see Garnet for general description or Almandine Garnet subsection for metaphysical properties
- Amazonite works on both the Heart and Throat chakras, opening them to aid loving communication. It also works well with the Brow chakra, opening your, and aiding intuition. It is super for absorbing damaging emissions from mobile phones and microwaves. It balances masculine and feminine energy (Yin and Yang) and is excellent for men wishing to get in touch with their femininity. It is known for being a very lucky stone and also as the Stone of Hope – keeping strength and hope up in difficult and trying circumstances.
Technically speaking Amazonite is the pure green variety of Microcline, with Perthite being the green and white stripped variety; almost zebra like in appearance, but in the world of crystal healing both are generically referred to as Amazonite and are from the Feldspar group of minerals.
- Amber Although not a crystal (it’s fossilized prehistoric tree resin) Amber is widely used in crystal healing because of its beautiful, sunny, uplifting energies. It has a strong connection with the Earth and is a powerful chakra cleanser. It has been worn to help relieve tension headaches and to relieve arthritis. In some Far Eastern countries it is referred to as the ‘Tiger Stone’; the stone which carries the soul, and therefore energies of the tiger, promoting courage and strength. Although most often thought of as being golden, yellowy orange in colour, it can be found in a gorgeous creamy colour (sometimes referred to as Butterscotch Amber), deep reddish orange (Cognac Amber) green and also rarely, black. Some of the most valuable and rare examples come with insect or plant inclusions – many of which are now extinct species - carrying within them that particular organisms’ energy from millions of years ago.
- Amethyst (see also Quartz properties) Another firm favourite! Amethyst enhances the function of the Brow or Third Eye Chakra; protective and powerful with a high vibration. It has been used throughout the ages for its protective properties; to protect from fear, guard against bad dreams, to absorb and dispel negativity, and is favoured by healers for its ability to focus energy. Once prized by royalty, nobility and ancient energy workers alike, nowadays, because of its ready availability it is often overlooked in favour of some of the more exotic or rarer stones. Try sitting with a piece for a while and reconnect to its endless possible uses!
The word Amethyst comes from the Greek, meaning ‘not drunken’ and was once believed to ward against the effects of alcohol. The colour found in these stones is unparalleled and although always purple, it comes in a vast array of shades, from pale lilac (like Vera Cruz Amethyst) to very deep, almost black (Guerrero Amethyst). It gets it colour from the manganese content mixed with the ‘Mother tincture’ when it was forming millions of years ago.
Even though Amethyst is found across the globe (also in Britain), faceted stones are often graded using the terms: Siberian, Uruguayan or Bahain; to represent high, medium and low grade respectively, regardless of where they actually came from.
- Amethyst, Chevron (also known as Banded Amethyst) is Amethyst combined with White Quartz in a V-shape or ‘chevron’ pattern. This super combination blends the strengthening qualities of Quartz with the psychic enhancing properties of Amethyst, resulting in a wonderfully spiritual stone. It is perfect for showing us the more obscure or subtle meanings of life; for removing the veil and showing us the truth in any given situation.
Chevron Amethyst is one of the best crystals for Third Eye or Brow chakra; enhancing our intuitive gifts. Use Chevron Amethyst to help remove resistance to change, and to dissipate negativity of all kinds. It is one of the best crystals to create a protective shield around the aura; cleansing and strengthening it at the same time. This makes it the perfect crystal healer’s stone. Chevron Amethyst is also excellent for manifestation work as it can help amplify our energies, improving the intent and outcome. Great for grid work, meditation and enhancing the quality of clairvoyance, clairsentience and clairaudience.
- Ametrine (see also Quartz properties) A mixture of Amethyst and Citrine together in one stone. Citrine is heated Amethyst. This process can occur naturally when part of an Amethyst cluster is exposed to ‘hot’ rocks in the earth, heating and transforming the part nearest the heat source into Citrine. The result is a crystal cluster part Amethyst, part Citrine, or Ametrine. Unfortunately most Ametrine available commercially is produced by artificially heating one part of an Amethyst crystal; however the outcome is the same - Ametrine, and the crystal shares the properties of both Amethyst and Citrine. If you’re looking to change your life this can be a very useful combination; Amethyst helps you visualize the change you want to bring about and Citrine helps you manifest it!
- Andradite - see Garnet for general description or Andradite Garnet subsection for varieties/colours
- Angel Aura – see Opal Aura
- Angelite is known as one of the Stones of the Angels, heightening your awareness of the angelic realm and facilitating angelic contact. It is a beautiful crystal which promotes peace, compassion and understanding. Physically it is said to help relieve pain and healers use it to help clear energy blockages, whether in the body or environment. It is also excellent for conditions affecting the throat. In its natural state it is quite brittle which is why carving and jewellery specimens are quite rare. The tumble stones are readily available and have a distinctly waxy feel to them. It is a pale bluish/grey variety of Anhydrite, from the Sulphate class or group of minerals.
- Apache Tears - see Obsidian
- Apatite is a stone of harmony and inner peace, and in its sea-green colour, works beautifully with the Heart chakra. It is also a great confidence giver; boosting self-belief and poise, which may be of particular use when facing a difficult or challenging situation. If worn or held when meditating it is said that this lovely stone can help us achieve a deeper meditative state, leading to a clearer, more enlightened understanding of matters relevant to the individual. When used in conjunction with other crystals, it can also help enhance their individual vibrations, hence improving the desired healing results. Furthermore, it is said to enhance our intuitive and creative abilities.
The more commonly seen sea-green type of Apatite has been, rather ironically, known for its use as an appetite suppressant throughout the centuries. It helps us to see the truth about oneself and with this comes self-acceptance and self-love, and thus the healing process begins. As this healing process gathers speed, the need to protect oneself from whatever ‘hurt’ started the course of unhealthy eating begins to evaporate, and with it, it is said, so do the pounds.
The name ‘Apatite’ comes from the Greek, meaning ‘to deceive’. This is because in its crystalline or ‘gemmy’ form it has often been mistaken for Topaz, Tourmaline or Olivine. Apatite is the Group name for a class of Phosphate minerals. There are actually three different minerals in the Apatite group, depending on the predominance of either, Fluorine, Chlorine or the Hydroxyl Group. Unless you had them tested at a laboratory, however, it would be hard to tell them apart with the naked eye, so all are generally termed ‘Apatite’. A cryptocrystalline variety is called ‘collophane’ and can make up a rock type called Phosphorite.
- Aqua Aura is Clear Quartz coated with a 1 micron film of pure gold, which gives it its distinctive, electric, peacock blue colour. It is an outstanding tool for people wishing to increase their psychic skills and awareness. It assists with meditation, telepathy, and psychic healing by intensifying the energy generated. It is particularly helpful for distance healing because of its ability to send energy. It is also used for protection from psychic attack. Other members of the coated Quartz family are: Opal Aura, Titanium Aura, Tanzine Aura and Ruby Aura. (See also Quartz properties and Coated Quartz)
- Aquamarine is a beautiful sea-green mineral of the Beryl family. It is known as the Stone of Courage, giving the wearer strength whilst calming and soothing and has an affinity with sensitive people. It is said to both shield the aura and also to align the chakras and sharpens the intuition. This makes it an excellent crystal to wear whilst meditating. It is also protective and in ancient times was believed to guard against attack from the dark side!
- Arkansas Quartz (see also Quartz properties and Clear Quartz) Arkansas Quartz is purer and clearer than almost any other found in the world. In fact, the finer crystals are pure enough to make synthetic quartz used in computer components. Sometimes referred to as ‘Arkansas Diamonds’, Clear Quartz from Arkansas (especially from the Old Coleman Mine) is recognized as some of the purest in the world and samples from this particular mine are used as the benchmark of the chemical purity of Quartz worldwide. Quartz from this area tends to have a more refined energy than that from Brazil
- Aventurine (see also Quartz properties). Aventurine is Quartz with tiny, often glistening inclusions, which gives it its gentle sparkle. Most commonly known in its green form (which is Quartz with Fuschite), Aventurine resonates beautifully with the Heart Chakra and, therefore, is one of the best stones for matters of the heart. It is excellent to help ease the pain of emotional heartache but is also super as an aid to restful sleep, with its calming, soothing energy. Sleeping with a piece under your pillow is also said to help bring answers to problems through our dreams. Physically it is super for all skin complaints, especially for acne sufferers. To achieve results with this crystal, prolonged exposure is best, and this can be done by wearing a bracelet where the stones can be in contact with the skin. Also available in peach and less often, red and silver.
- Azeztulite (Azestulite) A true stone of Ascension. Azeztulite is the trademark name for a very special type of Quartz. It is mined in only one particular place, in North Carolina, USA, and its energy has to be felt to be believed. It is surely one of the most powerful of all crystals.
The world’s most respected and renowned crystal healers and channelers have all had the same results when working with it Judy Hall refers to it as, 'A rare and light bearing crystal, . . . a stone for the New Age'. 'Its extremely pure vibration is one of the most refined in the mineral kingdom. It never requires cleansing and is always charged'. Whilst scientific analysis shows it to be silicon dioxide, the same psychical composition as ordinary Quartz, its light-bearing metaphysical properties make it unlike any other crystal on the planet.
Due to its very high vibration, one has to be ready to work with Azeztulite. The clearer the piece the more refined its energy, so it may be worth getting accustomed with a more milky piece to start. If, however, you feel you are ready, perhaps try using it together with a piece of Aquamarine, which can help prepare you for the transitional and powerful vibrational changes which can come when using this crystal.
back to top / back to A to Z Listing
- Black Tourmaline - see Tourmaline
- Bloodstone (see also Quartz properties) Because of its ready availability, Bloodstone is often overlooked in favour of the more exotic crystals, yet is has quite exceptional healing properties. Bloodstone is primarily Green Quartz flecked with Red Jasper. It has many, many uses and should be considered the mainstay in any crystal healer's collection. It is a powerful healer, can dispel both negative and evil energy, it promotes courage, grounds excess energy - especially where anger is present and is the definitive stone of good health. As its name suggests it is believed to be excellent to help disorders of the blood and is the primary healing crystal in cases such as Laminitis with horses.
- Blue Goldstone is a man-made stone, made from dyed (blue) glass with copper inclusions, which give it its trademark sparkle. Copper is one of the best carriers of healing energy, and is often used in the production of wands and other healing tools.
- Blue Lace Agate Blue Lace Agate has a beautiful, calm, healing energy. It is a lovely healing stone, using its gentle vibration to soothe and support the mind, body and spirit. When worn by a man it can help them express the more sensitive side of their nature thus bringing their yin side into balance. Its keywords are calmness, positivity, joyfulness and harmony and it aligns with the Throat chakra. See also Agate.
- Blue Moonstone - see Rainbow Moonstone
- Blue Tourmaline - see Tourmaline
- Boji® Stones ‘Boji’ is the trademark name for a type of stone which can be found in many parts of the world; (even in Kent in the UK!) but to be considered real 'Boji® Stones' they must have come from one particular place - from the land surrounding a natural pyramid formation in south-west Kansas. The lady who owns this land, Karen Gillespie, has marketed them worldwide using the registered name 'Boji', (a name she gave these most unusual stones when she was a child) and all stones from this location come with a distinctive, yellow, embossed 'birth' certificate. If they don't come with the certificate they are NOT genuine Bojis.
They are always sold in pairs - one male stone and one female (only the very expensive Rainbow types are sold individually). They are both textured stones but the male has extra raised geometric shapes on its surface.
They are often referred to as 'alive' stones. This is due to a peculiarity with this type of stone. In their natural state, if handled often, they will eventually (and usually quite suddenly) spontaneously disintegrate and 'die'! Metaphysically this is thought to happen when the stone's energy has become completely depleted (the stones being held together purely by their living energy within). However some geologists say that this process is due to a reaction between the natural acids found on our skin and the chemical make-up of the stone. Science aside, to the layman this is a somewhat bizarre response from a stone - going from a Moh's hardness of 7.2 to mere dust!
The genuine ones, however, are activated and energised before being offered for sale by the landowners and guardians of these little stones, Karen and Jerry. So remember to keep yours cleansed and charged! (Some cynics have suggested that they may be treated or coated with a secret ingredient to stop them 'dying'! but we may never really know!)
They have an obvious use; for balancing our masculine and feminine energies, our Yin and Yang - using the male on the left side of your body and the female on the right. But they are also extremely good for psychic protection. They resonate with the element of Fire and the planet Mars is their ruler. They have a golden energy which is very cleansing in nature and they also have a gentle magnetic energy. They are said to be able to remove pain from the body, by drawing it out, and can be used on acupressure or acupuncture points to help balance and clear blockages along the meridians.
- Boulder Opal (see also Opal) is said to clear the ‘murky areas’ from the aura, stimulating the healing of these areas and assisting one in communication between our conscious and sub-conscious mind. It enhances the properties of healing. It assists enhancing mental clarity, emotional security, physical well-being, and spiritual progression. Usually possessing earthy brown tones , Boulder Opal specimens are partially dehydrated siliceous ironstone . This naturally occurring drying out process results in irregular shrinkage cracks forming within the ironstone which accounts for its appearance. In some instances, silica solution enters and solidifies within the cracks which can then produce what we know as gem opal.
- Botswana Agate (see also Agate) is sometimes called the Stone of Change. It can help us handle change in a positive way. Humans are creatures of habit who generally dislike or distrust change, often resisting it. Botswana Agate is said to help us deal with changes, to smooth the passage in such a way that the transition is not as difficult or painful as it could be without it; it is a comforting stone. Relief from depression or grief is another excellent property of Botswana Agate. It helps focus on solutions instead of problems, and thereby increases creativity.
- Brandburg crystals are a delightful type of Quartz which typically comprise of Clear, Smokey Quartz and Amethyst (not all three are always present, however) . The best examples are Clear Quartz with both Amethyst and Smokey Quartz, the latter two of which are usually Phantoms. They often appear quite 'rugged' with perhaps some nicks or small chips (making them Warrior Crystals also) and they can have many curious and beautiful inclusions. You can spend hours just gazing into these extraordinary crystals. It is not unusual to find them with water bubbles trapped inside them also, and these are referred to as enhydro crystals.
Brandburg crystals have had a traumatic evolution over millions of years. They have been exposed to many changes in their environment (hence the different colours and inclusions) and have also been subjected to the tremendous physical stresses and pressures experienced during our Earth's development. This process, however, has made them one of the best crystals for soul retrieval work.
They can help us rediscover, and therefore start to heal ancient wounds (they have a very ancient feel to them). They can reconnect us to a time when we experienced extreme trauma, either in this life or more usually a previous incarnation, where a small part of our soul was 'cleaved' away by this traumatic situation. They can also help us reunite with our ancient ancestors; ones also from other worlds. Although they often resemble little weathered old men, these crystals are a true gift from the mineral kingdom to mankind, and good ones are quite difficult to come by. See also Clear Quartz, Amethyst and Smokey Quartz properties.
- Brecciated Jasper (see also Jasper and Quartz properties) This is a beautiful stone, full of rich brown, cream and white swirls all mixed together beautifully. It is especially good for grounding and can aid emotional stability and metal clarity. It relieves mental stress and supports clear thinking. A gorgeous stone with strong links to the Earth.
back to top / back to A to Z Listing
- Carnelian Grounding, energising and stabilising are the keywords for this gorgeous translucent stone. It is excellent for restoring vitality where chronic illness has been present, and it activates and energises the Sacral Chakra. This lovely crystal is full of life force and can help with a sluggish metabolism and can also have a positive effect on the reproductive organs. Place a piece by your front door to attract abundance to your home. It is from the Quartz group of minerals
- Celestite has a high vibration and is a teacher for the New Age. It is imbued with divine energies. It takes you into the infinite peace of the spiritual and contacts the angelic realms. It jump-starts spiritual development and urges you toward enlightenment. It brings a vision of peaceful coexistence with the whole of creation and holds the possibility of total harmony. A magical, angelic addition to any crystal collection!
- Chalcedony is a fibrous, cryptocrystalline (microscopic crystal) variety of Quartz. It comes in many colours and the blue in particular has a very peaceful energy. It is an excellent cleanser, absorbing negative energy, transmuting it so that becomes harmless (especially where anger is present). It is a very cleansing stone, said to promote healing of sores and is also very protective, making it an ideal crystal to have in your environment (see Chrysophrase for Green Chalcedony)
- Charoite Only recently discovered in 1978 in the Murun mountains in Yakutia near the Charo River in Russia, Charoite is a beautiful, vibrant purple stone full of movement, containing swirls, mottling and veining. Some say it takes its name from the river, other say it is from the Russian word for magic - 'chary'. Either way, it is a super mineral which is now becoming more readily available. In crystal healing terms it is considered one of the transformation stones, working best to help overcome fear and aligns with both the crown and heart chakras. Good quality specimens are excellent for Violet Ray or Violet Flame work.
- Chrysocholla is the beautiful turquoise-green stone of tranquility and stability. It emits a lovely calming energy which can absorb all kinds of negativity, replacing this energy with cleansed, calm vibrations. It can help strengthen a relationship which is experiencing difficulties; especially one where the source of instability has been extreme or prolonged states of stress. Sitting with a piece can help cleanse the chakras, realigning them with the divine and when placed over the heart area it can help alleviate emotional heartache. It is often found in combination with Malachite, which makes for a joyful, gentle and supportive stone.
- Chrysoprase (see also Quartz properties) Pure, vibrant, apple green Chalcedony or Agate, from the Quartz family. Its colour is reminiscent of newly sprouting spring leaves and, therefore, it has associations with all things new, especially children. It has also been used throughout the ages for the ‘broken hearted’ – to soothe the emotional trauma caused through love-linked grief, unrequited love and emotional endings of all kinds. It has also been said to increase fertility.
- Citrine (see also Quartz properties) Citrine is a joyful, dynamic stone, often referred to as the Stone of Success - whether in business, family, financial, legal or spiritual matters. However, it is an often overlooked crystal because of its ready availability, but it is an extremely useful and versatile stone, which should form the mainstay of any crystal healing collection. It is one of only a few crystals on the planet which never need cleansing; instead absorbing and transmuting any negativity it comes in contact with. It can help you maintain focus and is also known as the Merchant’s Stone, attracting abundance and promoting prosperity to any business. As one of the best Solar Plexus charka crystals, it can be used for any imbalance indicated in this area (aggressive & dominating personalities or weak-willed with low self-esteem, etc.) It is a powerful cleansing and revitalizing stone and is also excellent where lethargy and fatigue are indicated.
Natural Citrine is actually quite rare and is pale yellow/orange to green in colour. True Citrine occurs when Amethyst is heated by nearby magmas rocks (hot or molten rocks), transforming its colour. It is this process which also gives us Ametrine, a mixture of Amethyst and Citrine. Most Citrine sold today, however, is actually heat-treated Amethyst and has a bright orange colour.
- Clear Quartz (see also Quartz properties) Clear Quartz is one of the most abundant crystals on the plant. It is not only found worldwide but occurs naturally in many different shapes and forms.
The macroscopic (large crystal) types of Quartz have six principle properties. They can structure, store, amplify, focus, transmit and transform energy on every level. This is reflected in some of the different formations found such as channeller crystals, transformation crystals, double terminated crystals, laser crystals and so on, Clear Quartz, however, is the only truly ‘programmable’ crystal known to man. This means that you can get a piece of Clear Quartz to ‘take on’ the attributes of virtually any other crystal. If you had a bed of this amazing and versatile crystal, and placed a piece of Amethyst on it for a period of time, it would start to pick up the energies of the Amethyst! This does not, however, produce a permanent change. You can also programme and dedicate pieces for chosen healing missions. For example, a healer or therapist could send a client home with a piece, programmed to continue the healing process started during the treatment session. Each week or fortnight, when they return, it can be cleansed and re-programmed.
The clearer the piece, the more masculine (Yang) energy it has. This type also tends to have stronger, faster acting energy. The milkier specimens are more feminine (Yin) in energy and are better suited to long-term or chronic conditions.
It is superb for cleansing, activating and charging all Chakras, and can be used to draw out pain from the physical body. It is a crystal healing essential, often accounting for the major part of any crystal healing grid or layout.
Some Clear Quartz specimens have been named after their locality and also because they have sufficiently different properties; for example Arkansas Quartz and Tibetan Quartz, which are listed separately in this guide.
You could spend a lifetime collecting just this one type of crystal – its uses are as diverse as is its abundance on the planet.
- Coated Quartz is natural Clear Quartz which has undergone a special infusion process using pure gold, silver, platinum, indium, titanium, niobium or copper. This process involves heating the Quartz to extremely high temperatures (in excess of 1600°F) then adding the purified metal in a vacuum, which bonds it to the surface. The result is a permanent coating which has been bonded with the crystal at a molecular level. Although the coating is very thin, usually only 1 micron, it cannot be rubbed or scratched off and the results are quite spectacular.
In nature, Quartz can be found with inclusions of all the above metals, but they are often quite rare and therefore tend to be very expensive.
Metaphysically, coated or Aura Quartz crystals have all of the properties of Quartz, but with the additional benefits of the individual metal. Gold, in particular, is considered the master healer, with platinum having the highest vibration for spiritual work. See also Aqua Aura, Tanzine Aura, Titanium (Flame) Aura, Opal (Angel) Aura and Ruby Aura and our article on Coated Aura Crystals
back to top / back to A to Z Listing
- Danburite is often referred to as The Stone of the Angels because of its ability to access the angelic realms. It has a very high vibration and can act as a Karmic cleanser - what better stone to work with as we move towards ascension! Danburite is a wonderful crystal; its pure, gentle yet high vibration carries the cosmic light of Ain Soph - the light of all Universal intelligence - and it also connects with Master Seraphis Bay. Clear specimens resonate with the Crown chakra, whilst the rarer Pink type resonates with both the Crown and Higher Heart chakras.
Danburite crystals have a diamond-shaped cross-section, a wedge like termination. They consist of Calcium Boron Silicate and take their name from where they were originally found in Danbury, Connecticut but they have since been located throughout Europe and in Japan and Mexico.
- Diamantina Quartz (see also Quartz properties and Clear Quartz) Mined from the Diamantina region of Brazil – known for its highly charged crystals. Often very powerful specimens come from this area, in particular its Laser Wands.
- Dichroic Glass ‘Dichroic’ means having more than one colour and pieces of jewellery made of Dichroic glass offer a true kaleidoscope of colours. It was first commercially produced as a spin-off from the space industry and is made by heating glass interspersed with layers of titanium, magnesium or silicon, at varying high temperatures. The result is quite spectacular and pieces possess a 'peacock feather' type brilliance. Although man-made due to their mineral content, pieces of Dichroic Glass have their own particular healing properties. (Raspberry Quartz is naturally occurring titanium coated Quartz, and Quartz itself is Silicon Dioxide).
- Dioptase There are two main forms of Dioptase; crystalline, with beautiful deep green-blue small crystals and non-crystalline (or 'massive') - exhibiting the same stunning colour but in with no obvious crystal formation.
Dioptase is a superb heart and higher heart chakra crystal, but it can increase the level of function of all chakras. This wonderful crystal, with its most beautiful colour, can have a quite dramatic and positive effect on the body's energy field. It is excellent for mental cleansing and emotional healing. With regard to the latter, this can be either healing romantic hurts or psychological issues brought through from childhood, where a strong emotional reaction is still present in the adult, hence also super for inner child work.
Dioptase holds the true vibration of 'love', and when working with a piece it can start to bring this new, correct energy forward into your life. In fact it is excellent for all matters of the heart; physical and emotional, and is a very energized, uplifting crystal.
Dioptase crystal specimens are quite rare and, therefore, can be very expensive.
- Dumortierite. It can aid us in gaining control over our lives by helping us really see things for what they are – freeing us from constraining illusions which can hold us back from growing, usually through fear of change. Using or wearing Dumortierite may be useful in treating addictions and compulsive or impulsive behavioural patterns and can be successful in helping open a closed Brow or Third Eye Chakra where headaches are an indication.
Often sold as Blue Quartz, Dumortierite is actually a mineral in its own right but when its crystals are found in the ‘massive’ type of Quartz, colouring it blue, this is also, rather confusingly also referred to as Dumortierite. This is an excellent Throat Chakra stone. It is a hard, usually denim-blue coloured stone and is sometimes called ‘Blue Desert Lapis’. The mineral, Dumortierite, gets its name from the French paleontologist, Eugene Dumortier and was first discovered in the French Alps.
back to top / back to A to Z Listing
- Fire Opal (for general properties see Opal). Fire Opal is super where energy depletion is indicated, especially in chronic illness. It aligns with the lower two chakras, the Root and Sacral or Spleen Chakras. It can help dispel despondency, encouraging the return of enthusiasm and the associated vital energy this state brings about. Its ability to increase physical energy extends to work projects also. It is said that by placing a piece in a shop or you office area you will attract more custom. See also Boulder Opal
- Flame Aura see Titanium Aura
- Fuschite (also known as Green Muscovite) Fuschite is a favourite with healers due to its ability to channel information regarding the best remedy or treatment for a client. As Judy Hall puts in in The Crystal Bible, ‘it accesses knowledge with great practical value’. It can also amplify the energy of other crystals. It has a beautiful pale green colour with a delightful sparkle.
It is a superb stone for those who find it hard to reconcile the sometimes difficult lessons of an another persons personal karma. In other words, working with this stone can help us to become more detached from a painful situation, whilst also maintaining our compassion; to realize that to interfere in someone’s life, or even to keep making allowances for someone’s seemingly incorrect behaviour, can be to cheat that person of their own karmic lessons - it teaches us to stand back. Fuschite may also help overcome co-dependent behaviour. When Fuschite is found in Quartz, it is known as Aventurine.
back to top / back to A to Z Listing
- Garnet Garnet is the name for a very wide and sometimes confusing group of minerals. Most, but not all garnets are red in colour. Grossular Garnets come in a wide range of colours and Uvarovite is always bright green. There are many other types of Garnet such as Pyrope, Spessartine, Almandine and Andradite. Below is a brief description of some of these different types and their corresponding colours:
Almandine is the most commonly found type of Garnet – the one we usually find in jewellery - and is a deep red to reddish brown in colour. It is the iron-aluminium Garnet.
Pyrope is a magnesium-iron based Garnet and is always red to deep red-black.
Grossular has the widest range of colours including: clear, orange, green, red, yellow, black and even grey
- Hessonite is the brown-orange variety of Grossular Garnet
- Raspberry is the magenta-pink variety of Grossular Garnet
Andradite Garnets – the calcium-iron Garnet – is sub-divided yet further into several varieties based on colour:
- Melanite which is black
- Topazolite which is yellow
- Demantoid which is bright green.
Spessartine is a manganese rich specimen found in orange, brown or pink
Uvarovite is always green.
Metaphysical Properties - for metaphysical purposes we have dealt with a couple of the most popular Garnets:
Almandine Garnets (the most commonly found red specimens in jewellery) are linked with the Base or Root and Sacral chakras. The keywords with this crystal are stability, good health, trust, friendship, personal power and passion. An often overlooked crystal, due to its ready availability, these lovely stones promote friendship, balance and devotion. They can assist in developing a deep and enduring spiritual bond with partners, and where friendship is lacking can attract people to you. Wearing a piece also provides a constant monitoring/balancing energy between the physical and etheric bodies, and can also assist with Kundalini rising.
- Hessonite Garnets (the orange-red type of Grossular) are stones of creativity. Creativity does not always mean in an arts and crafts manner – it can relate to finding new ways of thinking and behaving too, leading us to abandon old and outmoded patterns which may have been holding us back. They refresh and renew, restoring vigour. This Garnet resonates best with both the Sacral and Solar Plexus chakras and is also associated with home and family matters.
- Raspberry Garnets are an unusual deep magenta-pinkish type of Grossular (similar to the colour of a ruby) and have the added properties of promoting passion, love and emotional harmony. These lovely little crystals have a very uplifting, almost playful energy. Garnet in general is an energizing stone and is also an excellent chakra cleansing crystal. They resonate with both the Sacral (passion & sexuality) and Heart (emotion & love) chakras
Uvarovite Garnets (named after Count Sergey Semeonovich Uvarov) form as small, intense green crystals, usually only available on matrix due to their size. They resonate best with the Heart chakra and are said to awaken the charitable and compassionate side in ones nature. This can be especially useful when going through a prolonged period of spiritual trials. These trials may have lasted for years and have left us feeling absolutely stretched to the limits. Good fortune or abundance in any form appears to have abandoned us completely, often leaving us feeling anything but compassionate. In cases like this, Uvarovite can help us reconnect with our higher heart and to once again feel at peace with the process of change and to once again go with the flow. They are also believed to be a stone of manifestation, especially in relation to matters of abundance.
Uvarovite also provides mental clarity and aids in the identification of a true soulmate. In such instances, ego may be the forward dominant energy, altering or impairing our judgement. Often our will or desire to have found whom we believe to be our ‘one true love’ clouds our essential spiritual essence – the essence that knows who really is our true spiritual mate. Uvarovite helps us see through any self-made illusion of the heart, to reveal the truth of a relationship; but only if we are sincerely ready to listen!
- Golden Healer crystals are usually always Quartz and get their colour from iron oxide; which is not necessarily throughout the whole crystal but is more often a coating on them. However, any crystal with this coating may be classified as a Golden Healer, but some are better than others and a true Golden Healer will have a superb vibration. To look at they appear very soft, gentle crystals, but when you pick one up you can immediately feel that they hold an enormous amount of energy. Not in the same way as say Phenacite or Azeztulite, but in a more subtle and tender manner.
Golden Healers are Master Healing crystals. They resonate and transmit the Golden Ray; which is the highest light vibration the physical body can receive. They can be used to invoke healing on all levels and for all or any disorders. They can also aid connection with the Christ Consciousness.
- Golden Rutile (see also Rutilated Quartz and Quartz properties) is a master vibrational healer. It is said to possess the perfect balance of cosmic light and promotes spiritual growth. When worn, it cleanses and energises the aura and is excellent for conditions where exhaustion and general energy depletion are factors and especially for respiratory conditions.
- Goldstone is a man-made stone, made from dyed (brownish orange) glass with copper inclusions, which give it its trademark sparkle. Copper is one of the best carriers of healing energy, and is often used in the production of wands and other healing tools
- Green Moonstone - see Rainbow Moonstone
- Green Tourmaline - see Tourmaline
- Grossular Garnet - see Garnet for general description or Grossular Garnet subsection for in-depth info and varieties
back to top / back to A to Z Listing
- Harlequin Quartz Lepidocrocite inclusions form this quite spectacular Quartz, which present as fiery red dots in the crystal. Harlequins fill us with energy and align best with the Root or Base chakra, but also provide a link from the Base chakra to the Heart chakra, which can be of use for anyone experiencing fear. Harlequin crystals channel this fear energy up from the Root in to the Heart chakra where it can be released from the body. See also Quartz properties
- Hematite is Iron Oxide and takes its name from the Greek work for blood, haima. At first glance this may not be an obvious name; with its silvery appearance, but in its powdery form it is blood red! Following a mineralogical expedition to Mars in 1996, both fine- and coarse-grained Hematite was found on the planet. Fine-grained Hematite is red in colour, with coarse-grained being silvery grey. It is the fine-grained Hematite being blown around during the seasonal Martian dust storms which gives Mars its characteristic red hue, giving rise to it being called ‘The Red Planet’.
Legend has it that Hematite formed in the ground from the spilt blood of wounded warriors in ancient battles; their spirits imbuing the crystal with protective properties never afforded to their bodies as mortals. And this is indeed a wonderfully protective stone, sending low-vibration and negative energies back to their source.
It is also a super grounding stone. When one of the Patinkas team was first experimenting with the otherworldly energies of Moldavite, she found she was unable to wear it without experiencing an extreme sensation; as if ‘floating away’. She found that by tucking a small piece of Hematite in her boot, it kept her grounded whilst she was familiarizing herself with the Moldavite. Physically it can be used to treat all disorders of the blood and is also excellent for postoperative use, especially when the procedure involves the main organs, deep cavity penetration (stomach and chest ops) or tumor investigation or removal.
- Hessonite Garnet - see Garnet for general description or Hessonite Garnet subsection for metaphysical details
- Hollandite, from the Coronadite Group, is a brittle, silver/grey to black mineral which was first discovered in India in 1906 and named after a Mr T. H. Holland. Whilst Hollandite can be found on its own, the most sought after type from a crystal healing perspective is found included in Quartz specimens, in particular in Cathedral Quartz (link opens in new window) formations, known as Lightbrary Star Quartz. Click here for Lightbrary Star Quartz metaphysical properties.
- Howlite An extremely calming stone, when carried in your pocket it can absorb any anger you may be feeling. Also helps those with an overly critical or selfish nature. Physically it is excellent for disorders of the teeth and bones. Place a piece beneath your pillow to aid sleep and great for kids’ temper tantrums, although we do not advise giving small pieces or tumbles to children under three years old, as it may present a choking hazard.
Although white with grey marbling or veining in its natural form, Howlite accepts dyes readily and is therefore often dyed blue to imitate Turquoise. Some unscrupulous traders have even sold dyed Howlite as Turquoise because it is far cheaper to acquire
back to top / back to A to Z Listing
- Infinite Stone Infinite Stone is an unusual and high vibration form of Serpentine (a combination of Serpentine and Chrysolite) and is found in only one area in Africa. It is often referred to as the ‘Healer’s Stone’, due to its remarkable ability to draw out any pain and negativity manifested in our body. Some have gone so far as to call them miracle stones and they have a lovely, soft quite angelic energy. They are extremely useful for people who suffer from chronic pain but may also be of use for athletes who are be prone to injury. They may, however, be used for any condition where pain is present, whether chronic or acute, physical or mental or emotional.
They are said to increase the effectiveness of energetic healing methods (like Reiki – try holding one in each hand during a treatment), can realign the auric field and can also assist in the progression of Kundalini in the subtle body.
They comes in two main shades – light and dark – and whilst both are equally effective it is very much down to personal preference as to which to use. We have found, however, that having a pair is best.
Due to their ability to absorb pain and negativity, however, Infinite Stones do need to be cleansed regularly and thoroughly.
- Iolite is a beautiful violet blue stone (the word iolite is Greek for ‘violet’), said to be a stone of vision, which, therefore, aligns best with the Third Eye or Brow Chakra. It is from the Cordierite group of minerals, and is unusual in that is shows a strong pleochroism (an optical phenomenon caused by refracted light) which means it shows two colours. When viewed from one angle it can appear quite grey and lifeless, but when rotated in your hand through 90 degrees, it suddenly reveals the most beautiful violet colour!
It is a psychic stone par excellance! When all chakras are in alignment and it is placed on the third eye, it can assist greatly with psychic insight and vision. One of its best qualities, though, is that it is said to help access reasons behind addictive behaviour. Often these reasons are tied up with expectation - those placed upon us by people around us which we have incorrectly taken onboard. It can help us to see that we do not have to conform to these expectations and can be free of their restrictions. Addictions are not always those as obvious as drink or drugs; but often more subtle behavioural ones such as an intense competitive nature (beyond basic personality), repeat offenders in relationships, i.e. always choosing the same type of person and always having the same negative outcome (same man, different venue syndrome!) or an addiction to work. It is also said to be excellent where co-dependency is indicated; releasing friction and fear in a relationship helping you to start to take responsibility for yourself again.
- Ipupiara Quartz – Goddess of Waters. The word ‘Ipupiara’ comes from the language of the Ureu-eu-wau-wau (People of the Stars) tribe of the Amazon; a tribe once numbering 2,400, but now only 43 members survive.
Ipupiara means ‘fresh water dolphin’, and it is believed that working with one of these crystal specimens enables us to awaken our subtle energies, whilst also connecting us to the most ancient Amazonian healing and shamanic vibrations. They are also thought to be excellent protective crystals and can assist in the removal of negative entities.
They are found only within water submerged pockets in mines in Bahia; a coastal town on the North East side of Brazil on the Atlantic coast. They are more commonly called ‘Goddess of Waters’ crystals - each one resonating strongly with the element of water.
These most beautiful Quartz crystals have a very subtle yet definite energy, and have a slightly smokey, pink/peach colour to them, and nearly all are quite heavily included, some having rainbows (another link to water). Gazing into them reveals otherworldly landscapes and striking images - they have many stories to tell and would make a superb addition to any crystal healing collection. See also Quartz properties
back to top / back to A to Z Listing
- Jasper (see also Quartz properties and Agate) Jasper is essentially an impure form of Agate. It is these very impurities, however, which give us the beautiful and wide range of colours. It can be found in many locations worldwide. The properties of Jasper vary from stone to stone depending (mainly) on their colour, but all Jaspers share some common properties. It is generally known as the supreme nurturer, and it is another stone often overlooked in favour of rarer or more exotic specimens because of its ready availability. It is a gentle stone, and can help increase our ability to relax. Sitting quietly with a piece can give us a feeling of tranquillity, peace and well-being. Good for patients with diagnosed heart conditions or high blood pressure to aid relaxation. See also Leopard Skin Jasper, Brecciated Jasper, Red Jasper, Ocean (Orbicular) Jasper, Picasso Jasper and Picture Jasper
back to top / back to A to Z Listing
- Kaolinite Whilst not a crystal, Kaolinite is a mineral inclusion, sometimes found in crystals including Quartz, where it often presents as a white phantom inclusion. Also known as China or Porcelain Clay, Kaolinite is a white to cream, layered silicate clay mineral from the Serpentine Group. When found in Quartz it can help stabilise spiritual energy, and, therefore, can be of benefit where an individual has made rapid spiritual growth, but feels the need to slow down somewhat in order that they may take stock of their progress and direction. Physically, Kaolinite included Quartz has been used to treat digestive disorders, especially those relating to the stomach.
- Kunzite is the pink variety of Spodumene (the green and much rarer type is called Hiddenite). The most popular type with healers is the pink (getting its colour from its Lithium rich content) - ranging from a real blue/rose pink through to a beautiful violet pink. It is an extremely peaceful and spiritual stone which awakens the heart centre promoting unconditional love. It is an excellent aid for those who find meditation difficult and is a very protective crystal. It is said to be able to dispel negativity and just having it in your auric field is enough to cleanse your aura. Kunzite is also excellent for premature babies who are having difficulty adjusting to early life outside of the security of their mummy’s tummy. Best placed under the baby’s mattress, well out of reach, or placed on a table adjacent to the baby’s cot. As with all babies and small children, care must be taken with crystals to avoid choking. Never leave a young child unattended with a crystal. Some of the best examples of Kunzite come from Madagascar and Afghanistan.
- Kyanite is Aluminum Silicate, from the Silicate group of minerals. It comes in white, grey-black and the more commonly found and most popular type, blue. It is a very useful throat charka stone, helping open communication on both the physical and spiritual levels. Amongst other things physically, it can help with thyroid imbalances (hypo & hyper) The black type often grows in fan-shaped ‘sprays’ and is an excellent grounding stone (useful after meditation) although it can be very brittle. Kyanite is unusual in that it never needs cleansing and just having it in your auric field realigns your chakras making it a must-have in any crystal collection! In can be found in Brazil, India, Russia and the US.
back to top / back to A to Z Listing
- Labradorite from the Feldspar group of minerals, takes its name from where it was first discovered, Labrador in Canada. It is also known as Spectrolite. On first inspection, if viewed from the wrong angle, Labradorite can appear dull, grey and lifeless. Turn it gently in your hand and it springs to life with the mineral kingdom equivalent of a firework display, exhibiting a range of fiery, intense flashes, from the typical blues and violets through more unusual greens, yellows and oranges. Labradorite is a highly metaphysical stone and bringer of light. It facilitates connection and communication with the angelic realm and deflects unwanted energies from the aura. It calms the over-active mind and is an excellent stone to wear through times of change and upheaval. It can clear, balance and protect the aura and has been called the Stone of Transformation. Its properties are as deep as its colourful flashes. A super Third Eye or Brow Chakra stone.
- Lapis Lazuli It is one of the best intuitive stones, opening the third eye or Brow chakra when used or worn, can facilitate spiritual journeying and generally stimulates your spiritual energy. Its Pyrite inclusions make it a protective stone, which shields and then returns negative and harmful energies back to their source. Lapis also increases bonds in friendship and love, making it an ideal token of your affection for a loved one.
- Larimar Referred to as The Atlantis Stone, although an early record exists from the 1800s of a 'blue stone' from this area, Larimar was only recently officially recorded (in 1972) and can only be found in the Dominican Republic. A real stone of the New Age with beautiful healing energy. Due to its rarity Larimar can be very expensive
- Lavakite - see Pearlspar
- Lemurian Seed Crystal Lemurian Seed Crystals are found only in the Sierra Do Cabral mountain in Minas Gerais, Brazil. These naturally formed crystals were discovered in late 1999/early 2000, placed individually in a sand bed, and were not attached to clusters. Some, but not all, carry a pink to reddish glow, others are brilliantly clear and some have phantoms, rainbows and inclusions, record keepers and keys. Although a few have been polished to reveal their inner beauty, all genuine Lemurian Seed Crystals found in the sand bed were natural, unpolished wands.
Legend has it that Lemuria was a peaceful and highly developed spiritual civilization, believed to exist on earth over 12 million years ago. During the last days of Lemuria, it was decided to plant seed crystals programmed to transmit a message of oneness. Having seeded the crystals, the Lemurians, it is believed, left this planet for other star systems. Others went into inner earth (while maintaining telepathic connection with those in other parts of the galaxy), where they continue to care for the earth and the seed crystals now surfacing.
Lemurian crystals are attracted to people who will actively assist in enhancing the energies that aid the planet. It has been said that Lemurian crystals are the perfect stone for opening the heart. They put one in touch with the purity of innocent emotions and enhance one's intuitive gifts. They are superb for removing energy blockages and open us to Divine Love and Compassion
They are connected to inner earth, the earth's surface, and the stars, and serve as links to these various magnetic fields. On the individual level, each seed crystal is energetically connected to all other seed crystals found in the sand bed.
Many of these fascinating and enigmatic crystals contain ‘bar-code’ type striations along the shaft, which are believed to contain implanted information left by the original guardians of these stones, and it is said that by sitting quietly and meditating whilst gently rubbing these striations, you may be able to unlock some of their wonderful secrets. As we approach 2012, however, it is also felt that these magical crystals will spontaneously and simultaneously ‘awaken’ to reveal their true purpose; serving as tools of light for the greater good of humanity and the planet.
These special working tools have many uses: to create a circle of light protection, hold a Lemurian Seed Crystal in your right hand while you encircle something (person, object, house, etc.). Sleep with the crystal to dissolve energy blocks, put it under your pillow to enhance your dreaming, meditate with the crystal, rotate it over the chakras - let you intuition be your guide, and enjoy your journey of discovery.
Note: By the beginning of 2004 the sand bed where these most unusual crystals were found in Brazil, had been emptied. All of the crystals have now been gathered and are being re-homed across the globe. Availability is, therefore, becoming limited and genuine Lemurian Seed Crystals are harder to locate, however, all specimens offered for sale by Patinkas are bought from trusted sources in Brazil and the US.
- Leopard Skin Jasper (see also Jasper) This stone can help us discover and make contact with our animal totem. Sit and meditate with a piece and see which animal presents itself to you. With practice you may even find out their name and will be able to call upon them to aid healing and when in times of need or reassurance. This process can be doubly helped with this stone because it also assists with creative visualization. As with the whole Jasper family, it is a protective stone, particularly good to wear or hold whilst meditating or carrying out soul retrieval. Physically it helps eliminate toxins and promotes self-healing.
- Lepidolite is a Lithium-rich form of Mica. It is considered to be a great stress reliever and can aid recovery whilst in convalescence. It is superb for stilling the over-active mind and has a powerful energy; repelling negativity from all about its energy field with great protective force. It is also an excellent crystal for men to wear; helping bring balance to their feminine side, creating wholeness.
- Libyan Desert Glass In July 2006 a television documentary reported that the central scarab in one of the necklaces found in Tutankhamen’s tomb, was actually made of Libyan Desert Glass; an ancient extraterrestrial substance which pre-dates the earliest Egyptian civilization, and not Chalcedony, as previously thought.
This most unusual substance is by no means a new scientific discovery; having been known of since the early 1930s, but what has puzzled scientists is how it came to be in this remote and inhospitable area called the Great Sand Sea of Egypt. This barren frontier between the Libyan and Egyptian borders is a vast desert area with not a single water source for 150,000 square miles.
Even at the outset of the earliest Ancient Egyptian civilizations, the area where this vast glass field lay had become inaccessible to all but the most hardy and intrepid of nomads and traders. Its inaccessibility made this superb stone highly prized, and the reserve of the Pharaohs. Today the Great Sand Sea of Egypt is still one of the harshest environments on the planet and this, together with Egyptian permit restrictions to travel to this area to extract samples, make it now incredibly difficult to source pieces, and supplies of genuine stones have reduced to a trickle.
Libyan Desert Glass is an extremely pure form of silica, some pieces having a high iridium content; a typical meteoric material, and like Moldavite, is a tektite. Tektites are primarily glass content objects, formed by a large meteor strike on the Earth’s surface. Unlike Moldavite, however, Libyan Desert Glass has been estimated at 28 million years old, in excess of 10 million years older then Moldavite.
Most tektites, with the exception of Moldavite, are black, but these beautiful specimens have a gorgeous straw yellow to pale apple green colour. They also often contain small dark speckles, which are remnants of meteor dust. Due to the many millions of years spent being gently polished by the shifting desert sands, they have a very soft, matte appearance.
Metaphysically they share some of the same properties as Moldavite. They are believed to be of particular benefit to sensitive people, especially 'star children' who may sometimes find it difficult being back here on the Earth plane with its heavy energies, principally those energies caused by the pain and suffering currently being experienced in the world today. They may also help these individuals reconnect to the otherworldly places that were once their homes; to reunite them with their Star Families and other Star Seeds, whilst also grounding them in the Earth plane so that they may get on with the task at hand during this incarnation. They also resonate with, and transmit the Golden Ray; which is the highest light vibration the physical body can receive.
Spiritually the planet is undergoing a huge awakening and energetic transformation. We are rediscovering and reconnecting with the Ancients and the knowledge held sacred to them, and as this process gathers pace, we are being given more and more powerful crystals to work with. As our light quotient increases in our energetic body, we have been given access to beautiful Ascension crystals to aid us on this journey, like Phenacite, Azeztulite, Moldavite, Atlantean Record Keepers and Lemurian Seed Crystals to name a few. Libyan Dessert Glass is another of these wonderful, magical stones. Its keywords are: Expansion, Compassion, Universal Love and Enlightenment; carrying with it the energy of the cosmos. The carved piece found in Tutankhamen’s breast plate/necklace was designed to be worn directly over the heart, and it is believed that by placing a piece over this area you will be able to activate the higher heart chakra, channeling cosmic energy directly to it. This energy will play a major part in our spiritual transformation and consciousness shift in the coming years, and there is still much to be discovered about this most unusual stone.
Sadly, due to their high glass content, these lovely stones are very easy to fake. Caveat emptor (buyer beware!) is the best advice when sourcing these enigmatic extraterrestrial ‘gems’. All of the Libyan Desert Glass specimens available for sale on this site are from an official expedition in 2004, and come with an individual Certificate of Authenticity, signed by the expedition leader and they also carry an official stamp.
- Lightbrary & Lightbrary Star Quartz Lightbrary crystals are defined as one main terminated point with other smaller ‘castling’ terminations growing up and out from this point. These beautiful formations are reminiscent of the temples of Lemuria and Atlantis, similar to the castle-type or cathedral structures we know today. This similarity has led to them often being referred to as Cathedral Lightbrarys.
These lovely crystals contain the sacred and ancient knowledge of the Akashic Records. This knowledge is written in the language of light; embedded in the crystal’s energy structure, and is said to be accessed via meditation. These crystal formations also act as channels through which the Ascended Masters may impart information relevant to humanity at any given time in our evolution. They are extremely powerful healing tools; exceptionally sensitive to receiving universal frequencies; the essence of which is translated into a clear form for 4th dimensional beings to understand and interpret.
Lightbrary Star Quartz crystals are ones with the mineral inclusion Hollandite, which presents as small black stars in the Quartz. This combination - being both a Lightbrary and Star Quartz - is a rare formation indeed. When you find Hollandite inclusions in a crystal it gives it a very protective energy. Ancient warriors were believed to have carried these stones with them for protection when they went into battle and these crystals are also said to help dispel negativity at emotional, mental and spiritual levels. These are very high-spirited crystals indeed. See also Quartz properties.
- Lithium Quartz is Quartz containing the mineral Lithium. It has a dusky pink colour, and often presents itself as pinkish phantom within the Quartz crystal. It is a very energetic stone and one of balance, harmony and peace. Whilst this combination is powerful, it releases its energy in a slower more manageable way than with, for example, Moldavite. It can cleanse and balance Chakras; releasing tension and energy blockages and is an excellent stone for helping release old anger. It achieves this by enabling us to recognise the patterns and circumstances which trigger our anger, so starting the process of release and healing. Working with this combination crystal is also thought excellent for states of grief; where one feels unable to move forward and a feeling of hopelessness exists. It can also alleviate other states where depression is indicated.
- Lodolite Widely used and accepted in the crystal healing world, Lodolite is the unofficial trade name for mineral included Brazilian Quartz. The main mineral inclusions in Lodolite are Iron, Chlorite and Calcite. This lovely included Quartz (usually clear although sometimes smokey) gives the impression of looking at a rocky or coral seabed through a glass-bottomed boat. Some also look like magical landscapes captured in Quartz, or a beautiful, underwater garden.
back to top / back to A to Z Listing
- Mahogany Obsidian - see Obsidian
- Malachite Malachite, with its trademark bands and swirls, takes it name from the Greek work malache meaning ‘mallow’ which refers to its leaf green colour. It is thought to be the oldest known green pigment, having been used as a paint or dye for many centuries. Its chemical formulation is Copper Carbonate Hydroxide, and it is its high copper content which gives it its gorgeous, vibrant green colour. It is also this high copper content which gives it its outstanding healing properties – copper being one of the best channellers of healing energies. It is known as a stone of transformation and whilst it can balance all Chakras, it is perhaps best suited to the Heart Chakra. Working with this stone can help counteract self-destructive romantic tendencies (i.e. always attracting the ‘wrong sort’) and can help encourage true, pure, unconditional love. It is a stone of good fortune, prosperity and abundance and is also very protective. It can provide general protection from negative and destructive dark energies and has been known as a protector of children. It is also said to safeguard people when flying, and as such may be good for those who work in aviation. Malachite occurs throughout the world from the Congo, Namibia and the Ural mountains in Russia to Mexico, Australia, the south-western United States and even England. When mined it is quite brittle and powdery, measuring only 3½ - 4 on Mohs’ Scale. It is often found in combination with Chrysocolla.
- Merlinite (Real name: Dendritic White Agate see also Agate and Chalcedony). Merlinite is in fact moss agate with black dendritic formations within a matrix of translucent and white agate (chalcedony). Although the dendritic pattern resembles a fossilized plant, it is in fact inorganic manganese oxide. It is known as the Heaven and Earth Stone, connecting these two spheres and, therefore, is also known for its ability to balance energy. Wearing or holding a piece during meditation is said to assist access to the Akashic Records; to be able to see and recognize our Karmic history, and consequently to be able to understand our here and now. It has magical, shamanic connections and pieces which exhibit a good translucent section can be used as a seer’s stone.
- Moldavite About 20 million years ago a meteorite shower hit Earth, landing along the banks of the Moldau River in Czechoslovakia. These meteorites hit with such enormous force that the rock they struck melted, merging with the meteorite, and the crystal we now know as Moldavite was the result. Being found in only one location on the planet, it is a rare crystal with a beautiful translucent, bottle-green hue, and due to its origins, is a stone with extraterrestrial properties. When placed on the third eye, Moldavite helps us to establish a connection with the Cosmos, and when placed on the heart it teaches us to appreciate our gift and true purpose of being here on Earth. It is an extremely powerful crystal, and it can take time to become attuned to its dynamic energies. It is recommended, therefore, that when starting to work with Moldavite you keep it in your auric field for a while before wearing it. Because of its most unusual power it can also be useful work with it in conjunction with a grounding stone such as Black Tourmaline or Hematite. With Moldavite you can truly say, 'the sky's the limit!'
Moldavite in its natural or rough form is found in two types, 'Chlum' and the rarer type, 'Besednice'. Besednice Moldavite pieces are prized above all others not only for their rarity, but also for their exceptional colour and beautiful translucency. Besendice Moldavite specimens are also sometimes referred to as 'hogs' because of their hedgehog-like formation; appearing spiky with jagged or irregular edges.
- Morganite (the Pink variety of Beryl) As Rose Quartz is thought of as the stone of personal/self love, Morganite is considered the stone of Divine love. It opens the heart on a higher level, connecting us to cosmic love. Morganite gives us the opportunity to surrender to the immense power of Divine love, and to let it show us our life path more clearly. It is one of the major ascension stones of our age.
Morganite is excellent for healing old emotional wounds, gently bringing deeply buried traumas into conscious thought, enabling them to be recognized and released, and freeing us from their constraints. It brings in the highest frequency of Divine compassion, which gives us what we need most for our spiritual growth during this, the Aquarian Age. Highly recommended for all who wish to undertake serious inner work or self-development, and to experience emotional self-healing. It can also help us to understand that all of life's suffering and pain serves the higher purpose of spiritual growth. With this awareness comes inner surrender, releasing us from the pain to which we had been unconsciously clinging.
- Moss Agate (see also Quartz properties and Agate) One of the most beautiful Earth healers, Moss Agate has areas of white Quartz (less often found also with Clear Quartz patches) together with swirls of beautiful deep green matter and sometimes little bits which look like tiny pieces of moss. It is not moss but inorganic dendritic matter. It has also been called the Gardener’s Stone or Farmer’s Stone because of its links with prosperous harvests – used when planting or to surround new plants. Moss Agate can also help us gain peace with extreme or excessive duties in life and helps bring self-confidence and to build self-esteem. A great emotional balancer. Moss Agate is also a protective stone, as are all agates.
back to top / back to A to Z Listing
- Nebula Stone is comprised of four minerals - Quartz, Anorthoclase, Riebeckite, and Aegirine, and is said to have quite unique properties. It is a newly discovered stone and we still have much to learn about its properties and use, but early work (meditations and channelling) has found it to be a stone of unity and oneness. It has a dark matrix (base) with beautiful deep green orbs or circles and polishes to a high shine, making it very smooth to the touch. The circles have been referred to as 'eyes' also suggesting a protective quality. A fascinating new find indeed.
back to top / back to A to Z Listing
- Obsidian is a naturally occurring volcanic glass, produced when felsic lava from a volcano cools rapidly with minimum crystal growth. Obsidian is commonly found within the margins of rhyolitic lava flows known as ‘obsidian flows’. Because of the lack of crystal structure it is possible to cut or chip Obsidian into very thin, sharp layers. This is why it was a favoured medium used by ancient civilizations for the production of arrowheads. Obsidian is comprised of more then 70% Silicon Dioxide, but due to its lack of crystalline structure, it cannot be classified as a true mineral, but is often referred to as a ‘mineraloid’ (a mineral-like substance which doesn’t exhibit any crystallinity. Jet, Opal and Pearl are also examples of mineraloids)
It usually occurs in dark colours; brown, green and more commonly black, and these colours occur depending on the impurities they contain like iron or magnesium. Rainbow and Sheen Obsidian are particularly beautiful varieties. The colour in these two comes from tiny gas bubbles which were trapped inside the moving lava flow along layers before it cooled. Another lovely variety is Snowflake Obsidian, which is essentially black Obsidian but with small inclusions of the mineral cristobalite, which radiate out forming the appearance of tiny white snowflakes in the stone. Apache Tears are roundish nuggets of black Obsidian on a white or grey Perlite matrix. All of the Obsidians (with the exception of man-made Blue Obsidian) make excellent Root or Base Chakra stones.
From a metaphysical point of view, all natural Obsidians have a very strong energy and all are grounding and protective. They help raise the ‘warrior instinct’ in us when despondency is present; due perhaps to a prolonged ‘battle’ of our own like a lengthy legal matter for instance.
Black Obsidian is especially dynamic, and due to its shiny surface is said to enable self development and growth through self insight and reflection; to be able to look inward to see where changes are needed within ourselves and also to discover hidden abilities, talents and energy reserves we have not yet tapped into. It has a very ‘no-nonsense’ feel to it, whilst Snowflake Obsidian has a slightly gentler energy.
Snowflake Obsidian is sometimes referred to as the Stone of Heaven and Earth; bringing both energies into harmony and balance. It can be used to help gently resolve issues by providing clarity; helping us to see a complex and trying situation from a different, more beneficial perspective. It can provide support and balance through these sometimes difficult times of change.
Rainbow and Sheen Obsidian is most noted for its ability to bring a little levity to a situation; it brings love and light where there is darkness, uplifting our spirits and therefore our energy; promoting joy and happiness. Just looking at a piece of Rainbow Obsidian with its beautiful iridescent rainbows floating in a deep dark sea is enough to start this process. Using or wearing a piece can encourage us to have a little more fun; to lighten up, and it has been referred to as the Stone of Pleasure. The Silver or Golden Sheen types especially can be used as scrying stones (particularly for romantic relationship matters) and are also said to promote clairvoyance. As with the other Obsidians these are super grounding, protective Root or Base Chakra stones
Mahogany Obsidian, with its beautiful mixture of rich earthy browns in a deep black base is a gorgeous, sensual stone. Again, it has the trademark protective and grounding properties of all Obsidians. It balances the physical energy body.
Apache Tears, legend has it, were formed in the earth from the tears cried by the women of the Apache tribe after their men had fallen in battle. These little stones therefore are especially good in times of grief or sorrow and can provide support and comfort as well as protection when we are at our most vulnerable emotionally and physically.
Blue Obsidian available in the shops today is merely blue dyed glass. Nonetheless it has a vibration of its own because of its colour (not for any mineral or crystal properties) and they are very attractive, translucent aqua-blue stones.
- Ocean Jasper (also known as Orbicular Jasper) is very soothing and helps to love one's self as well as others. It is an emotional healer and helps brings peace of mind. It also assists with acceptance of responsibility and increases patience. The circulars patterns on Ocean Jasper symbolize and help us realize that we are all interconnected, as nature itself has a cyclical pattern. Being a type of jasper, it is a very protective stone, and any orbs or eyes, enhance this in regard to protection from dark, negative energies or the ‘evil eye’. It relates to the Heart Chakra. See also Jasper.
- Onyx is part of the Agate family, and although most commonly found in black or white colours, it can also be grey, blue, brown, yellow and red. Onyx is known as the Stone of Strength - mentally and emotionally; giving support to the wearer during difficult or trying times. It is said to have the ability to hold on to the energies and memories of the wearer, making it excellent for psychometry work, but it can also be used to access past life memories; enabling us to recognize hurts from a previous incarnation, therefore allowing us to see the negative patterns which we may have brought through into this life which need to be released and so healed. It also balances the masculine and feminine parts of our nature, and can bring strength where fear is present.
- Opal is Hydrated Silicon Dioxide. It is a member of the Mineraloid class because it does not have a true ‘crystalline’ structure. The are usually found on the sites of old geothermal springs, and were formed gradually, over hundreds and thousands of years from minerals deposits left in cracks and cavities, which had previously seeped up from the earth into these springs.
There are two main types of Opal; Precious and Common, and Precious Opal is further divided into three groups: Black White and Fire, and they can contain a kaleidoscope of colour. Each has slightly differing metaphysical properties, but generally speaking Opals are known as the Stone of Emotional Harmony. It is in essence, a very feminine stone, aligning with the Moon’s gentle vibrations, but an Opal possessing a deep flash of colour is said to also carry the masculine energy of the Sun – Yin and Yang in perfect harmony. Its main alliance is, however, with the Moon. Its gentle energy can bring deep, long buried emotions up to the surface to be recognised, accepted and released. This process can often begin through our dreams, so if you find yourself being attracted to this most beautiful of stones, pay particular attention to your dreams. Wearing it can also help us understand the higher purpose of change and to attract positive energies to further this process.
Opals have been prized in jewellery for thousands of years, and today the best examples are to be found in Australia, with large deposits also found in Mexico and the USA. Good quality Opals have ‘opalescence’ and lustre and some seem to have an incredible fire burning within them, and they can be found with almost any colour contained within them. They have a high water content so should not be worn in direct contact with the skin, however, most jewellery settings do not allow for this. See also Boulder Opal and Fire Opal.
- Opal Aura (also known as Angel Aura) This is one of the most delightful of the Aura crystals. It is Clear Quartz coated with either Platinum or Platinum and Silver. It has a soft white colour with subtle metallic rainbow hues and it resonates with the Violet, Silver and Blue Rays. Exceptionally protective crystal, yet with a delightful, serene vibration. It is excellent for sensitive types and also where chronic conditions are indicated. Wonderful for angelic communication; is purifying, calming and can restore inner peace. Other members of the coated Quartz family are: Aqua Aura, Titanium Aura, Tanzine Aura and Ruby Aura (See also Quartz properties and Coated Quartz)
- Opalite (also known as Sea Opal). Although man-made (from glass), due to its lovely colour, changing from blue through white to pale orange depending which way it is viewed, Opalite is becoming increasingly popular. It is a high quality glass with an infusion of milky opalescent lemon/blue colouration and has a quite magical appearance, reminiscent of genuine Opal.
- Orbicular Jasper – see Ocean Jasper
- Ouro Verde Quartz is green/gold Quartz and is said to contain the golden energy of the star Arcturus. This is Citrine in its natural, unheated form. It is exposure to heat artificially which gives the vast majority of commercially available Citrine the golden orange colour we are familiar with.
This most delicious of crystals remains constantly charged and never needs cleansing or recharging. It is said that it can help us reach our potential; to help us 'shine' in this life. This may not be in the area we desire or think, so in order to truly benefit from this glorious crystals gifts to mankind, we must be ready to relinquish the ego and devote ourselves to spirit. Trust is the keyword when first encountering this crystal.
These crystal specimens in their natural form are nearly always quite matt in appearance, and unless polished, are also often Warrior Crystals too, ones with small nicks or dings which they have acquired throughout their journey, but unless carrying severe damage, we have found that these small marks do not affect their energy or integrity. See also Quartz properties
back to top / back to A to Z Listing
- Pearlspar or Lavakite is a form of Dolomite. It is said that Pearlspar will help you to learn everything you need to know to enable you to reach your full potential, bringing out any hidden or, indeed, repressed talents. It is also thought to help you become more adaptable, to bend like a tree in the wind. It can help us to see change as a new and beneficial opportunity, providing energy and fortitude to help overcome any perceived difficulties that change may present. A stone to reawaken the dormant inner self. Helps us connect to the Earth’s energies and when in our energy sphere, provides a protective field. Also believed to help assist in the ability to see auras.
- Peridot is most often found in jewellery, with records of it being mined for this use going back some four thousand years. It is a very versatile crystal but is perhaps best known metaphysically as an emotional healer, especially where deep hurt is carried in the heart. Wearing or working with a piece helps us to understand the lessons of painful relationships from a spiritual progression perspective. It can enable us to see clearly the reasons we found ourselves in a given situation, helping us to release the pain associated with this experience from our auric body. It can also help those who find themselves continually falling into ‘victim mode’ or for those who suffer from that most destructive of energies, jealousy.
‘Healer heal thyself’, is also a saying appropriate to this lovely and versatile stone. It can help release any negative residual energies picked up during a healing session and when on the healing path, wearing a piece during times of change or transition can also assist with clarifying ones purpose as a healer, in terms of direction and vocation.
For abundance, Peridot also makes a good companion stone to Citrine. In this combination Peridot draws money to you, whilst Citrine helps you keep it. Try placing a pair of these crystals together on your cheque book or in your cash tin.
Peridot is the gemstone variety of Olivine. Olivine is composed of two minerals: fayalite and forsterite. Fayalite is iron rich and fosterite is magnesium rich. They can be found in many locations world wide including Mogok in Burma, Kohistan in Pakistan, Minas Gersis in Brazil, Eifel in Germany, Chihuahua Mexico and Arizona in the US. The vast majority of commercially available Peridot today, however, comes from Arizona dues to its abundance and therefore availability and affordability. The most unusual of all Peridot specimens, however, are those which come from meteorites called ‘pallasites’. Pallasites are a rare type of iron-nickel rich, stony meteorites containing quite large Peridot crystals – making them truly extraterrestrial! Only 1% of meteorites found on Earth are pallasites, with only 61 recorded instances to date, accounting for their extreme high value.
- Phenacite (Phenakite) Due to its incredibly high vibration (believed to be the highest on the planet), Phenacite is one of the major Ascension Stones. It clears and activates all of the upper chakras (from 8th to 12th) and is especially attuned with the Crown chakra, helping activate the ‘light body’. It is said to have initiated contact with all Angelic beings and Ascended Masters. This incredibly powerful light workers tool should be treated with great respect. It is a very rare crystal. Due to similarities, Phenacite was long mistaken for Quartz. As a result when it was identified as a new mineral it took its name from the Greek work meaning ‘to deceive’. Although similar to Quartz in appearance, the indices of refraction are higher, which means that when faceted, it has a brilliance not dissimilar to Diamond. It can be found in the Urals (in Emerald and Topaz mines), in Colorado, Brazil, Zambia, Zimbabwe and Norway. It is a rare beryllium mineral (same family as Emerald and Aquamarine) from the Silicate class. It can appear colourless, white, greyish, pinkish, brownish and yellow.
- Picasso Jasper (also called Picasso Stone) is a very calming and grounding stone. It is also a very creative stone, clearing the mind of unnecessary clutter leaving space for inspiration, helping us to ‘think outside of the box’; to think differently. It also promotes self-discipline.
- Picture Jasper Picture Jasper is a harmonious stone, excellent for the highly strung, creative personality. Working with it (wearing or holding a piece) can help show us our hidden fears; fears which may have put psychological restrictions on our progress in life. An excellent stone for healing emotional wounds thereby restoring accord.
- Pineapple Quartz – see Spirit Quartz
- Pink Moonstone – see Rainbow Moonstone
- Pink Petalite is a rare and magical stone which shimmers beautifully in the light. It has an exceptionally high vibration and exudes the pure Pink Ray (3rd Ray) of divine love, peace and forgiveness, which is governed by Archangel Chamuel and Ascended Master Lord Serapis Bay. Pink Petalite can assist us when working at a high spiritual level, communing with all Angels, Archangels and Ascended Masters. As a result it is commonly referred to as The Stone of the Angels. A Major Ascension Stone! Technical, Pink Petalite contains Lithium (which gives it its beautiful colour), Aluminium and Silicon. It takes its name from the Greek word for leaf, ‘petalon’, and can be found in various locations around the world including Afghanistan, Burma, Namibia, Sweden and Brazil. More commonly occurring specimens are colourless, grey and white.
- Pink Tourmaline - see Tourmaline
- Pyrope - see Garnet
back to top / back to A to Z Listing
- Quantum Quattro Silica is the trade name for an as yet unclassified mineral. It’s an unusual blend of Royal Blue Shattuckite, Mid Blue Chrysocolla, Forest Green Dioptase and Mid Green Malachite, all in a silicon dioxide (or Quartz), base and with a mottled appearance.
Quantum Quattro is a popular stone with healers and light workers. The lovely mixture of energies makes for a super grounding and clearing crystal, with a focus mainly on the Heart Chakra.
It’s an immune system builder, working to re-balance cells at DNA level by opening the healing channels in the body. It’s effective at healing past grief or trauma that’s locked within the emotional energy field, manifesting as physical pain or ‘dis-ease’.
It’s also a powerful balancing crystal; balancing the mind, body and spirit, dissolving emotional disturbance, fear and sadness into acceptance and calmness. As well as working with the Heart chakra, it also resonates with the Throat and Third Eye chakras and is a crystal of truth, communication and intuition, with a deeply peaceful, loving and protective energy; guarding against negative entities and energies. Quantum Quattro Silica also gives inner strength in times of prolonged stress and assists in spiritual transformation.
Quantum Quattro Silica can be used to stimulate healing of any disease, as its function is to harmonise the higher vibrational energies of the aura, light body or subtle body. A lovely new discovery indeed!
- Quartz – see Properties of Quartz at the beginning of this guide (or click here)
back to top / back to A to Z Listing
- Rainbow Moonstone is the mineral Oligoclase from the Feldspar group. Moonstone and Sunstone are its commercial, or gemstone names (Sunstone being Oligoclase with hematite inclusions, which give it its orangey/red colour). Rainbow Moonstone, so-called because in daylight it shimmers with an ethereal glow reminiscent of moonlight, has a very gentle, feminine energy. It is also known as the Wish Stone. It has been used to strengthen intuition and to heighten the psychic experience. Its rainbow energy, resonating with the whole spectrum, is a great cleanser on all energetic levels. It is one of the best protective crystals, instantly dispersing negative energies on contact. It can have blue, green and rarely, pink flashes.
Blue Moonstone Technically speaking this is Rainbow Moonstone but cut from a large blue-flash section. Gorgeous blue iridescent colour, it has all the properties of Rainbow Moonstone but with the added benefits of helping us see and speak the truth.
Green Moonstone Technically speaking this is Rainbow Moonstone but with a permanent green-flash. Therefore, it has all the same properties as Rainbow Moonstone but is also perfect for all matters connected with the heart. A wonderful crystal for lovers of nature and the ‘green’ environment.
Pink Moonstone Again, this is technically Rainbow Moonstone and has all the same properties, but with its permanent baby pink, iridescent colour, it the perfect stone for all matters connected with the Heart. It can help restore the carefree innocence and joyfulness we felt as young children and therefore great for inner child work. Pink Moonstone is still very hard to come by.
- Rainbow Obsidian - see Obsidian
- Raspberry Garnet - see Garnet for general description or Raspberry Garnet (subsection of Grossular Garnet) for metaphysical properties
- Red Jasper (see also Jasper) Red Jasper is one of the best known Root Chakra crystals and its keyword is balance. Excellent where extreme imbalances of the Root Chakra are indicated: excessive fear, undisciplined or underweight (under active chakra) and greedy, materialistic, sluggish nature or obesity (over active chakra). It is this ability to balance that has also led Red Jasper to be known as the Stone of Justice – bringing equilibrium to unfair or unjust situations. If you are ever involved in legal proceedings, or find yourself in an unfair situation personally or professionally, using or wearing a piece may help secure a fair outcome. Always remember, however, that ‘fair’ means being honest with yourself and not wishing for an outcome motivated by greed, fear or revenge.
- Rose Quartz The stone of self- and unconditional love. Most of us know about the properties of Rose Quartz. It is often one of the first crystals we work with or come into contact with. Commercially it is almost always marketed as a Love Stone, which indeed it is, and has been regarded so for thousands of years with its beautiful, sweet energy, but the following explanation is (we hope you will find) a slightly different and deeper interpretation of this much loved, but often overlooked pink stone.
Much is talked about and written about unconditional love. It is as though it has become the buzz-word or catchphrase for those of us on the spiritual path, but how many of us really, truly not just practise it, but achieve it? Do you ever find yourself having expectations from people? Even small ones? For example, ‘I know I shouldn’t expect anything back from him/her, but I sent them a birthday card /bought them a present and didn’t get one back’. Or, ‘I always call them but they never call me . . .’ and so on. To feel let down, to be disappointed, to expect a certain response or reaction is not loving unconditionally or loving the self. But let’s not be too hard on ourselves. One of the biggest misconceptions with spirituality is that we should always turn the other cheek and emanate love. But being spiritual doesn’t mean being a door mat, far from it. We still have boundaries, but ones put in place knowingly and not through fear or expectation. These are the boundaries of truth and compassion. It’s about learning to speak our truth, but with compassion for our fellow human beings, and speaking our truth without fear of reprisal.
Speaking the truth also means speaking it to ourselves, and in turn, being able to hear that truth compassionately. In other words, to be able to see, accept and love ourselves for whom we truly are; a glorious spirit in a human guise, connected to everyone and everything, yet beyond doubt, unique. Not thinking we are better than anyone else or wishing we were thinner, richer and prettier or didn’t have any scars, but perfect as we are, right here and now. This is self-love, and from it comes unconditional love: the art of being able to sincerely give, without any conditions attached or expectation of reply. This is the starting point on the road towards Ascension. This is the mission of Rose Quartz.
Rose Quartz is Quartz with iron and manganese in varying degrees, which combine to give it its beautiful pink colour. See also Quartz properties.
- Rose Quartz Crystals As above description but whilst Rose Quartz is commonplace, Rose Quartz Crystals are rare and, therefore, can be quite expensive. The energy from the crystal form, as opposed to the more usual 'massive' form, is amplified greatly, giving off a pure, sweet and tranquil energy, replacing negativity with love in its environment.
- Ruby is a deep pink to red crystal from the illustrious mineral family Corundum. It has an equally famous sister; Sapphire, and although we generally think of Sapphires as being blue, they are in fact any colour except red. This mineral group produce the second hardest crystals known to man, with Diamond being number one. Ruby is a stone of the earthly realms. It is said to be a protector of hearth, home and personal possessions. It is also the stone of integrity, passion and contentment and has been given and received throughout the ages as a symbol of devotion and passion. In the secret language of stones, if given in a jewellery setting together with Diamond and Pearl, it is said to mean, ‘I Love You Passionately’! Rough Ruby specimens are one of the best and most cost effective ways to work with this stones energy for healing purposes, and these often have the added benefit of having Record Keepers on them. Ruby resonates with the Root or Base Chakra.
- Ruby Aura Beautiful member of the Coated Quartz family. This is Clear Quartz coated with Gold and Platinum. Vitality and passion are this crystal’s keywords. Super where lethargy is present, especially after a long or persistent illness and also for restoring vivacity and strength after grief or loss. This is a protective crystal on a physical level and it resonates with the Root or Base Chakra. Other members of the coated Quartz family are: Opal (Angel) Aura, Titanium (Flame) Aura, Aqua Aura and Tanzine Aura (See also Quartz properties and Coated Quartz)
- Ruby in Fuschite This combination merges the best qualities of Ruby and Fuschite together in one lovely stone. Brilliant splashes of the scarlet Ruby float in a gentle sea of pale green Fuschite (often accented by little bits of blue Kynaite). Fuschite, when used with other crystals, is said to help speed up the healing process and Ruby amplifies emotions, making this combination a superb healer of emotional wounds. Ruby is also known for its passion for life and people, thus helping restore a little vigour where there has despondency.
- Ruby in Zoisite (also known as Anyolite). This crystal combination aids physical vitality and is good for the recovering patient. A very dynamic stone, it can energize the whole energy field. Amplifies all psychic abilities and is said to attract money to the wearer. It is excellent for accessing past life memories giving the user the ability to identify karma brought through to this life, and therefore the lessons needed to learn. See also Ruby.
- Rutilated Quartz (see also Quartz Properties) Rutilated Quartz, is Quartz with needle like rutile inclusions in it. Rutile means red in latin and the most commonly found form of rutile is red. They may also, however, be golden, silvery and rarely greenish.
It is thought of as an energizing stone that helps get energy moving (on all levels) helping kick-start sluggish chakras. It is also believed to help stabilize love relationships. Emotionally it can also be very helpful in uncovering the causes of mental issues and imbalances, making it an excellent stone for sufferers of depression, whilst physically it said to be beneficial for food intolerance, disorders of the immune system, fatigue (CFS/ME) and respiratory illnesses such as asthma. Rutilated Quartz is also a wonderful diagnostic tool, helping us discover the true cause of an ailment – as a crystal healer you could place a piece on the throat or third eye chakra of a client to assist in unlocking of buried emotional or mental issues, or use a pendulum made from this super crystal.
back to top / back to A to Z Listing
- Sea Opal - see Opalite
- Seraphinite (also known as Clinochlore) gets its deep green colour from Chlorite – considered to be one of the Master Healing stones - and has feathery, silvery iridescent markings. It comes from a mine in the Lake Baikal region of Russia. This is a most effective stone for cellular regeneration and when used in a treatment session can cause a flush of pure healing energy to be released. It acts as a trigger, causing old patterns of disease or imbalance to start to dissolve away allowing for new patterns to be created, and, therefore, letting a client hold a piece while they talk to you can prove beneficial. It is the premier healing stone of this age. It is the tool most suited to bringing the physical body into line with the Light body. While the beautiful green shade is perfect for the Heart chakra, it can be used on any chakra to enhance and harmonize energy.
- Shiva Lingams symbolise the embodiment of Yin/Yang energy in perfect balance and harmony. A form of cryptocrystalline quartz, Shiva Lingams are found only in the waters of the Narmada River in Onkar Mandhata, India, which is considered one of the holiest rivers in India. These rare and mystical stones are naturally river-tumbled - which give them their shape – but are given a final polish by hand to bring out their full beauty. The Sanskrit name for these sacred stones is ‘Narmadeshwara’, which means ‘Lord of the Narmada’. Considered the ultimate fertility stone, they are worshipped by Hindus worldwide as the embodiment of Lord Shiva. ‘Lingam’ is the Sanskrit word for phallus and their shape embodies the masculine principle: dynamic expression and knowledge, whilst the markings (which are unique to each stone), called ‘Yoni’, represent the feminine: wisdom and intuition. Therefore, the female energy arouses the masculine urge to create.
These Stones can be used to direct the flow of energy throughout your home, or when placed in the Relationship/Marriage* area of your home are said to help increase fertility and to bring you closer to your partner. If single, it is believed that when placed in the Relationship/Marriage corner, they can be used to attract a partner who will be the perfect compliment to and balance for your own particular energies. *The Relationship/Marriage area is the top right-hand corner of your home as you enter it, or South/West corner. The number for this area in Feng Shui is ‘2’, so pairs of things are usually placed here, like two candlesticks or two statues for example.
- Siberian Amethyst Quartz This is speciality Quartz, which is lab-grown. Genuine Siberian Quartz Crystals are collected and then grown in controlled conditions in a laboratory and infused with manganese and iron, which gives them their lovely violet colour. This process produces completely flawless and pure Amethyst Quartz. Metaphysically, these stones are said to be powerful carriers of the Violet Ray, which is said to have the power to clear all karmic debt as well as to free us from physical pain. They are said to embody the qualities St Germain, Master of the Violet Flame. ‘Siberian’ is also a term often applied to gemstones of a flawless nature and of the and highest AAA grade. See also Quartz properties and Amethyst.
- Siberian Blue Quartz This is speciality quartz, which is lab-grown. Genuine Siberian Quartz Crystals are collected and then grown in controlled conditions in a laboratory and infused with cobalt, which gives them their lovely blue colour. This process produces completely flawless and pure blue Quartz. Metaphysically, these stones are said to be powerful carriers of the Blue Ray, which is related to both the throat and third eye chakras. They are said to embody the qualities of inner vision, clairvoyance and other psychic abilities. ‘Siberian’ is also a term often applied to gemstones of a flawless nature and of the and highest AAA grade. See also Quartz properties.
- Siberian Green Quartz This is a speciality quartz, which is lab-grown. Genuine Siberian Quartz Crystals are collected and then grown in controlled conditions in a laboratory and infused with copper, which gives them their lovely deep green colour. This process produces a completely flawless and pure Quartz. Metaphysically, these stones are said to be powerful carriers of the Green Ray, which is related to the heart chakra. They are said to embody the qualities of unconditional love and general healing. ‘Siberian’ is also a term often applied to gemstones of a flawless nature and of the and highest AAA grade. See also Quartz properties.
- Smokey (Smoky) Quartz (see also Quartz properties) Grounding, anchoring, protective. This powerful and extremely useful stone soaks up negativity and electromagnetic pollution like a sponge, so it needs regular cleansing. In fact it does its job so well that no home should be without a good piece of Smokey Quartz. A firm favourite but still hard to find good quality specimens set in jewellery. Smokey Quartz is Quartz exposed to radiation from the rocks which surround it - it is often found in granite rocks which emit a small but persistent amount of radiation. Unfortunately a large proportion of Smokey Quartz available commercially today has been artificially irradiated to produce a dark colour. However, natural specimens of this crystal are still available worldwide, with notable producers being Brazil, areas of Colorado in the US and Switzerland. There is even a variety from the Cairngorms in Scotland. The darkest natural variety is called Morion Smokey Quartz.
- Snowflake Obsidian - see Obsidian
- Sodalite So called because it is a Sodium rich stone, Sodalite is often mistaken for Lazurite or Lapis Lazuli, but it is a royal blue rather than ultramarine in colour. Sodalite also rarely contains pyrite, a common inclusion in Lapis. It is further distinguished from similar minerals by its white streaks or patches. A very useful stone for the mind, Sodalite can assist in creating order out of mental confusion. If worn whilst meditating it can help us understand why we are in any given situation and to discover the lessons needed to learn to progress. It is protective and works extremely well with the third eye or Brow chakra and is said to be especially useful for the over-sensitive personality where phobias, fear or guilt are present.
- Spessartine - see Garnet
- Spirit Quartz The many tiny terminations which surround the main point in these types of Quartz formation are said to greatly amplify the energy of the crystal. Also known as Pineapple Quartz, they are said to help access the mystical realm of fairies. They are also excellent for group work - the large point being supported and cradled by the smaller ones. They are usually found as Amethyst points and clusters, and some of the paler ones have been coated to become part of the ‘Aura’ family of crystals, especially Aqua Aura
- Star Quartz - see Lightbrary Star Quartz
- Strawberry Quartz A rare form of red Quartz, Strawberry Quartz is one of the most potent Heart chakra crystals. It helps to balance the connection between the physical heart, heart chakra and higher heart; filling us with a feeling of true love. It also balances the whole physical and subtle body systems. Strawberry Quartz can also assist with connection to the Source or centre of Universal energy where we can find answers to many of the questions surrounding our existence both as an individual and as a race of incarnate humans.
More specifically, when used in meditation, it can help us identify why we have chosen this current incarnation, and the lessons needed to progress and to counter Karmic debt. If you decide to use a piece for this purpose, cleanse your crystal and then take some time to become attuned with its energies. Formulate a concise question, remembering to be as clear as possible because this will affect the answers you receive, then try sitting with your crystal held over your third eye for a while as you send out this question to the Universe. When you feel happy that your question has been sent, place the crystal over your heart and clear your mind. Keep your mind open and be aware of whatever images you ‘see’ in your third eye, feelings or emotions you may experience, or words you may hear. It is recommended that during this attunement process and subsequent astral connection work, you do not let anyone else handle your crystal as this will affect both its energy and the answers you receive.
This is a crystal which will remain visibly hidden and overlooked until the time we are ready to experience its energies and are also truly willing to receive the information it can impart.
Many Strawberry Quartz specimens available are merely dyed glass, especially those found in jewellery, even Rhodonite has been sold as Strawberry Quartz, so as always buy with caution and purchase from sellers you trust. Strawberry Quartz should look and feel like Quartz but with a red/orange sparkle and hue. See also Quartz properties.
- Sugilite Sugilite (also known as Luvulite or Royal Lavulite) is most definitely a stone for the New Age. It is an incredibly powerful healer and represents spiritual love and wisdom. When used or worn it is said to help the new energies present on the planet, flow into the Crown Chakra and then down through the others, helping us to connect with the ‘Source’. It is named after the Japanese geologist who first discovered it in 1944, Ken-ichi Sugi and is a wonderful collector's mineral as it is only found in 3 locations in the world – Iwagi Islet, Japan, Mont Saint-Hilaire, Quebec, Canada and the most prolific producer, Wessel's Mine, Kuruman, South Africa. High grade, deep purple Sugilite is becoming extremely scarce and is, therefore, becoming very expensive.
- Sunstone is the mineral Oligoclase from the Feldspar group. Sunstone and Moonstone are its commercial, or gemstone names Sunstone being Olioclase with Hematite inclusions, which give it its orangey/red colour. Its keywords are healing, protection and success, and as its name suggests, it resonates with the masculine energy of the Sun, making it the perfect counterpart to its sister-stone, Moonstone. It is a dynamic, energy giving crystal, good for activating sluggish, lower Chakras. It is a light bringer and will bring in happiness with its cheerful energy. Excellent for suffers of SAD (Seasonal Adjustment Disorder), and for general cleansing of the liver and kidneys.
back to top / back to A to Z Listing
- Tanzanite Is a beautiful violet-blue stone which takes its name from its source; Tanzania in Africa. Due to its increasing scarcity, is rare to find it in rough or tumbled pieces of a useable size and is therefore, more often found in small jewellery settings. Tanzanite is a blue, gemstone variety of Zoisite and is fairly soft – 6.5 to 7 on Moh’s Scale – and can be quite brittle in its rough (natural, unpolished) form. It has a very high vibration and is a carrier of the beautiful Violet Ray or Violet Flame, governed by Ascended Master, St Germain. Prolonged use of this stone, whether through regular meditation with a small piece or by wearing the crystal, can clear any blockages which may be present between the 5th, 6th and 7th chakras; thus creating an open channel. It is also said to aid inner vision and psychic abilities. It is best cleansed by moonlight.
- Tanzine Aura is similar in appearance to Aqua Aura (slightly paler) but resonates more with the higher vibration Violet Ray (Violet Flame) than the Blue Ray. It is Clear Quartz coated with either Indium or Indium and Gold giving it a gorgeous violet-indigo colour. High vibration crystal which can help with non-attachment and releasing Karmic debt, therefore it is excellent for ascension work. Aids intuition on a different level to Aqua Aura, providing access to the Source for inner-knowledge and enlightenment. It is called Tanzine after its similarities to Tanzanite. Other members of the coated Quartz family are: Opal (Angel) Aura, Titanium (Flame) Aura, Aqua Aura and Ruby Aura (See also Quartz properties and Coated Quartz)
- Tektites Tektites originate from meteorites, and, therefore, have extraterrestrial origins. They are said to help us connect with other-worldly realms and if we are open to their subtle energies, they can help advance our spiritual growth. Traditionally they were worn or carried as fertility talismans. When used in crystal healing, Tektites have been known to be able to reverse the flow of an incorrectly spinning chakra. They are also excellent at balancing chakras generally, and can help balance Yin Yang energies in the body.
- Tibetan Quartz (also known as Tibetan Blackspot – see also Quartz properties) has a beautiful spiritual energy, and they are said to carry the powerful 'OM' vibration which aligns with both the Crown and Higher Crown Chakras. They are also said to hold the sacred energy frequencies and the wisdom of this most ancient of cultures. They not only look, but feel ancient, and they have a beautiful calming energy about them. They usually have carbon 'blackspot' inclusions and often have small nicks out of the termination which does not affect their integrity one bit. Such crystals are often referred to as Warrior Crystals. They are very powerful when used as part of a healing grid because of their ability to dissolve blocked energy.
- Tiger(s) Eye A chatoyant version of Chalcedony, therefore also a member of the Quartz family. (Chatoyant means when a stone exhibits a silky, somewhat lustrous look when light hits it from different angles). This reflective quality gives it a protective quality and it also considered a stone of good fortune, especially in consideration of financial luck. It has been used successfully to give power boosts to the Solar Plexus Chakra, consequently, is good metaphysically where a weak-will or low self-esteem are indicated; physically for gastric disorders and mentally as a courage booster.
- Tiger(s) Iron is a combination of Tiger Eye with Red Jasper and Hematite and aligns/vibrates with the Sacral and Root Chakras. It possesses the properties of all three of the above stones but is primarily used for grounding, is a protective stone and working with or wearing a piece promotes courage and physical and mental strength. Excellent to have around when recuperating.
- Titanium Aura (also known as Flame Aura) is Clear Quartz coated with Titanium and Niobium and has a vibrant, deep metallic, rainbow colour, like looking at oil on water. It stimulates clairvoyant abilities; a seer’s stone. It can assist with kundalini rising, and is excellent for all creative endeavours and resonates with the Third Eye or Brow Chakra. A wonderful crystal when looking for inspiration; whether artistically, in business or to find a creative solution to a persistent problem. Other members of the coated Quartz family are: Opal (Angel) Aura, Titanium (Flame) Aura, Tanzine Aura, Aqua Aura and Ruby Aura. (See also Quartz properties and Coated Quartz)
- Topaz is typically found as a beautiful, golden brown to yellow stone, with the latter often being mistaken for Citrine, and vice versa. Blue Topaz is found in nature, but is far rarer. Most of the Blue Topaz available commercially is usually heat treated clear Topaz. Nonetheless, it is still real Topaz and has the same metaphysical properties of the naturally occurring type. It is one of the hardest crystals on the planet, which is one of the reasons why it has been used extensively in jewellery making for thousands of years. It carries a joyful energy and is considered a very lucky stone, attracting good fortune to the wearer. The blue in particular is a stone of spiritual love and peace. It is also a manifestation stone, helping to realize dreams in the physical realm.
- Topaz, Imperial links the highest traits of the Solar Plexus and Heart chakras. More specifically, it helps merge our will and power of manifestation from the Solar Plexus to our expression of love and emotional connection with the Divine from the Heart chakra. This combination enhances our conscious powers of manifestation and co-creation with the Universe; bringing our actions into alignment with the greatest good. It also helps Spirit overcome Ego. In other words, helps guide us to find what is right for us, which is not always what we want, but what our soul knows we need.
It promotes abundance through benevolent thoughts and actions and is a stone of deep compassion, making it the perfect choice for any charitable undertakings.
For those more advanced on the spiritual path, Imperial Topaz has a higher meaning. It opens our 7th, 8th and 9th chakras to align us to the true purpose of our spirit; illuminating our path and soul purpose. It helps us become co-creator in this process; powerfully awakening latent spiritual gifts, whilst giving us the confidence to trust these new talents.
Physically Imperial Topaz can help energise weak energy systems; those suffering from chronic and debilitating conditions such as M.E. It also links energetically to the heart, lungs, circulatory and digestive systems as well as to the stomach, liver and gall bladder.
- Topaz, Mystic Mystic Topaz was first introduced at the Hong Kong Jewellery Trade Fair in 1998. It is genuine, natural Topaz that has been enhanced by bonding or coating the gemstone surface with Titanium. The coating is only one micron thick but its effects are permanent, and the effect is quite magical, producing a stone with an iridescent, mystical appearance. It has the added benefit of enhancing the already beautiful metaphysical properties of Topaz with the energies of Titanium. This combination greatly amplifies the Third Eye or Brow Chakra – it utilizes the spiritual vibration of Topaz and creates a beautiful seer’s stone.
- Tourmaline All Tourmalines are powerful crystals with dynamic energy or vibrations. They come in a myriad of colours, with prices varying almost as much as the choice of colour. Most are readily available in either shops or on the internet; with Black (Schrol) Tourmaline being the cheapest and Paraiba Tourmaline being extremely expensive. Blue (Indicolite) Tourmaline specimens can also be pricey for good quality specimens. By far the most popular are black, pink, blue and green Tourmaline.
In mineralogical terms, Tourmaline is best described as a group of related but very complex aluminum borosilicate minerals. There are eleven distinct mineral species of Tourmaline, based on chemical composition: Buergerite, Chromdravite, Dravite, Elbaite, Feruvite, Foitite, Liddicoatite, Olenite, Povondraite, Schorl and Uvite. They get their vast array of colours from various metal ions like Iron, Manganese, Titanium and Copper.
Some Tourmalines have been give common names like Rubilite for pink to red, Schrol for black, Indicolite for blue and Watermelon for those with a pink or red centre surrounded by green Tourmaline. Others are named after the person who first recorded them (‘Buergerite’ after Professor Buerger), whilst others still, are named after their prime source, as with ‘Paraiba’ Tourmaline, from Paraiba State in Brazil. Many are so similar to the naked eye, though, that the only way to accurately define which of the eleven groups they fit in to would be via lab analysis. Elbaite, for example, comes in a wide range of colours in itself, from green, blue, pink, yellow and so on. Those, therefore, without a common name or certification are usually referred to by their colour, such as Green Tourmaline. The name ‘Tourmaline’ comes from the Sinhalese (language spoken by the natives of Sri Lanka) word turmali, which was originally used to refer to an assortment of coloured stones.
Metaphysically, Tourmaline crystals have been valued throughout the ages for their stunning beauty as much as for their healing qualities. When faceted the pink/red, blue and green varieties have often been mistaken for Rubies, Sapphires and Emeralds. In healing terms, Tourmaline crystals act fast in resolving problems; cutting straight to the heart of the issue with their clarity, energy and glorious colour. They can disperse negative energy, enhance psychic ability and increase self-confidence. Below is a brief description of the most popular Tourmalines used for healing purposes, plus they are the most readily available. We have also included a special entry for Paraiba, which in our opinion (and in fact that of many Tourmaline collectors worldwide), is the Holy Grail and most magical of all Tourmaline crystals!
Black Tourmaline (common name: Schrol) The black variety is said to provide protection from negativity in all forms; from people, spirit entities, electromagnetic smog and geopathic (environmental) stress. It absorbs and deflects this energy, so regular cleansing is essential. It is not advised that this be done via water or salt, but sitting a piece in a bowl or organic, brown rice for 24 hours (or until you feel it has been fully cleansed) should suffice. Always safely discard of the rice afterwards, NEVER cook and eat it or feed to your pets! Black Tourmaline is also said to sharpen ones mind; to speed up our reactions and mental processing. It resonates with the Base (or Root) chakra and is an excellent grounding crystal and can enhance vitality and promote emotional balance. It is readily available at a modest price.
Green Tourmaline Green Tourmaline is an excellent healing crystal, and if worn for prolonged periods, is considered one of the best all-round, general healing ‘tonic’ crystals. Its lovely deep colour resonates directly with the Heart Chakra, helping restore a sense of hope and joie de vivre where despondency, grief or depression has been present. Wearing or using a piece lets us see that we have options in life and can help us see which is the best route for our spiritual progress. It is said to be able to rekindle creativity where it has been blocked (as with writer's block) and is, therefore excellent for creative and artistic types.
It has also been used for earth healing and connects with all earth energy work; especially if using or working with herbs, and has long been thought of a healer of ailing plants.
Green Tourmaline is also said to be very lucky for the wearer; attracting abundance and prosperity! Good specimens, whether in jewellery or rough, are a bit more expensive than the black.
Pink Tourmaline Pink Tourmaline (common name: Rubillite) has a deep, comforting, peaceful energy. It can help to transform negative behavioural patterns into positive ones, especially those brought about by lack of love and nurturing as a child. It is an excellent choice, therefore, for any inner-child work also.
Pink Tourmaline can help heal emotional pain caused through loss; whether grieving for loved ones, people and animals, or the loss of a relationship. It removes the associated pain and fear that comes with such a loss; instilling calmness and restoring a sense of peace. It also teaches us self-love & acceptance, to trust others, and also helps us learn true compassion. It achieves this by opening our Heart chakra thus enabling us to truly feel what others are experiencing, leading to a better understanding of our fellow human beings. It corresponds to the Heart and Higher Heart Chakras. Pink tourmaline is also considered one of the best fertility stones and is also thought to aid the physical heart where strength is lacking. Good specimens, whether in jewellery or rough, are a bit more expensive than the black.
Watermelon tourmaline This is a combination Tourmaline crystal, having a pink or red centre surrounded by a ring of green tourmaline. In the colour spectrum, red and green are opposites; therefore, this lovely combination can teach us that differing aspects of our nature (or those of others) can exist in harmony. Its energy can help us to balance these aspects; centring vibrations to create a harmonious whole. On the other hand, pink (or red) and green are the harmonious duality’s of the Heart chakra. So here we have the combination of Pink and Green Tourmaline, which makes for a beautiful, supportive, loving, healing, peaceful and spiritual blend; benefiting from the qualities and energies of both Pink and Green Tourmaline in one stone. Good specimens, whether in jewellery or rough, are more expensive than the black.
Blue Tourmaline (common name: Indicolite) This colour Tourmaline is a very spiritual stone, increasing ones awareness of and receptiveness to the higher, subtle vibrations. For this reason it is an obvious choice for psychic attunement or development. It works well with both the Third Eye (or Brow) chakra and the Throat chakra; facilitating communication in the latter; helping one to express oneself more precisely and positively. It is also one of the more expensive stones in this family. Genuine specimens are getting rather pricey.
Paraiba Tourmaline This is an exciting new find among Tourmalines, and indeed in the world of crystals and gemstones in general. They were first discovered in 1989 by a man called Heitor Dimas Barbosa. He was digging in a Brazilian state called Pariba, where he was convinced he would find some new and different crystal, and he wasn’t wrong! Five years after he first started mining, the first Paraiba Tourmaline crystals were found. After identifying the particular geological conditions which yielded this exquisite and glowing stone (namely copper rich seams), similar discoveries were made in parts of Africa, in Mozambique and Nigeria. These finds first came on to the open market in 2003 and 2005 respectively.
Metaphysically, Pariba Tourmalines are one of a few New Age stones which have surfaced in recent years; becoming available only we are ready to receive their unique, high vibration energies. They have an ethereal, angelic energy which is quite magical, and they also have an ancient, knowledgeable feel about them. They assist in our well-being and promote inner-strength and spiritual inspiration. They also encourage a desire to help and support others – a true stone for healers of the New Age. They are also linked to the Angels of Joy and Abundance.
The stunning turquoise/aqua/blue/green hues found in Paraiba Tourmalines is glorious. They are so vivid with a luminescent, almost neon quality (which has led to them being labelled the Peacock Stone) - they really do appear to ‘glow’. It is no coincidence that as we evolve spiritually, so the colours in our auric field are beginning to also. Seers are beginning to report new, vivid colours appearing in auras, and this stone is a physical manifestation of these subtle new colours and energies. Paraibas align best with the Heart, Higher Heart and Throat chakras.
This moment in planetary and spiritual evolution, as we work toward Ascension, is all about Truth. Finding, hearing and speaking the Truth. It is not about saying exactly what is on our mind without concern the impact our words may have on others, but it is about speaking out about what is right for us on our particular and individual spiritual journey. There are many changes afoot; long-standing relationships are being broken down, with previously thought ‘unlikely’ partnerships being built in their wake. Established work patterns are changing with new careers being sought, and new connections are being made on a global level. People are no longer happy to stay as square pegs in round holes; to go on unheard and unfulfilled, with our very souls crying out for freedom and change.
As spiritual consciousness expands, so does the need for change; to seek out new relationships, new ways of working and new ways of expression. To not speak the Truth can be to deny not only our own karma (ultimately our spiritual freedom), but also to deny others of their own karma. There may be people around you who need to hear what you have to say, even if they don’t particularly like it or want to hear it. If your words are said with love and compassion, and with the intent that it is for the greater good of all, then there is the sincere possibility that we may achieve positive change and healing for all.
This magical new Tourmaline is the stone which supports this Truth and Healing process. It is a guiding light for the sometimes dark and difficult days experienced both personally and globally during this rapid time of spiritual change; shining its light out like a beacon to the planet as a whole.
On first sight, to the novice eye, they could be mistaken for Apatite crystals or even Aquamarine, but when you actually handle one their colour and feel is altogether different; their energy is unlike any other crystal. They are incredibly powerful and appear to pulsate with pure, white light; transforming heavy, dense vibrations into positively charged, dynamic energy.
Africa yields the biggest Paribas and they also have the most uniform colour (Brazilian ones are rarely found above 1ct). Paribas can be found in various colours depending on the other minerals present when they formed in the earth like Iron and Manganese, but it is the magical aqua/blue/green ones which are the most prized. It is copper which accounts for their exceptional colour; a mineral which has never before been found in a Tourmaline crystal, making them truly unique, and which also accounts for their sparkle and radiance. Paraiba Tourmalines from Brazil are among the rarest and most sought after gems in the world. They are unsurprisingly, therefore, also one of the most expensive, but geological tests have shown that there are few differences between the Brazilian and African, save for the latter being very slightly lighter in colour.
- Turquoise This most beautiful of crystals has been prized across the globe for thousands of years. It is considered one of the Master Healing Stones and legend has it that it will change colour to warn the wearer of impending danger! It purifies, strengthens and enhances all four energy bodies and when coupled with Pearl it can be a great emotional balancer whilst also helping create focus to aid personal goals. The various varieties of Turquoise around the world each differ slightly in colour and some have slightly differing metaphysical properties. These include: Tibetan Turquoise (contains the OM vibration, pale greenish/blue in colour. Often Chinese Turquoise is passed off as Tibetan, so always try to buy from a trusted source), African Turquoise (quite green), Chinese Turquoise (also quite green/blue), American Turquoise (turquoise) Sleeping Beauty Turquoise (one of the best – pure deep turquoise in colour)
back to top / back to A to Z Listing
- Unakite is composed of Pink Feldspar, Quartz and Green Epidote, giving it a unique blend of colours. The beautiful green and terracotta colours found in Unakite reflect its element of Earth. It is an excellent grounding stone, especially after meditation and can help disperse electromagnetic pollution and background radiation emitted from televisions and computers.
- Uvarovite - see Garnet for general description or Uvarovite subsection for physical and metaphysical details
back to top / back to A to Z Listing
Babies, Small Children and Crystals – A Brief Guide and Precautions
Whilst children and babies seem endlessly attracted by the colour, sparkle, feel and energy of crystals, they must, of course, be used with caution around them because small items may present a choking hazard. Babies and small children should never be allowed to put crystals in their mouths or be left unattended with them. Crystal carvings (animals, dinosaurs and hearts are especially popular) can be a good way to introduce older children to crystals, and you can have fun see which crystal and colour they are attracted to. If you are going to use crystals around babies, ensure they are kept well out of their reach. One way to let a baby benefit from the positive effects of crystals is to place a palm stone under their cot mattress. Be especially careful with this method, however, if you also have a curious toddler running around. If you are in any doubt as to which crystal may be of use for your child you should first consult with an accredited crystal healing practitioner
‘Most Have’ Crystal Selections
Crystal Healing Basics:
Rose Quartz, Smokey Quartz, Amethyst, Citrine, Clear Quartz, Bloodstone, Kyanite
Azeztulite, Phenakite (Phenacite), Morganite (Pink Beryl), Danburite, Tanzanite, Libyan Desert Glass, Moldavite, Rose Quartz Crystals (as opposed to the common ‘massive’ form)
High-Vibration Lightworker’s Crystals: (other than ascension specific)
Celestite, Lemurian Seed Crystal, Moldavite, Pink Petalite, Tibetan Quartz, Seraphinite, Phenakite (Phenacite)
Auto Aura Cleansing and/or Balancing: (cleans and/or balances by being in auric field rather than chakra specific)
Citrine, Kyanite, Kunzite, Labradorite
Crystals for the New Age:
Larimar, Sugilite, Celestite, Charoite, Libyan Desert Glass, Paraiba Tourmaline, Seraphinite, Nirvana Quartz©, Starbrary Quartz, Lemurian Seed Crystals
Specific Quartz Formations:
For a list of specific, naturally occurring Quartz formations, like Manifestation, Dow (Trans-Channeler), Transmitter and Window crystals, including the Twelve Master Formations, go to our Quartz Formations Illustrated A to Z Guide
back to top / back to A to Z Listing
Important Copyright Information
Whilst you are more than welcome to print off this guide for personal use, it is copyright information and, therefore, it is protected under the
Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988. No part may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, recording or otherwise. Patinkas assert the moral right to be identified as the author. All rights remain with the author.
Copyright © Patinkas 2013
The Crystal Bible The Crystal Bible, Volume 2
Judy Hall Judy Hall
Godsfield Press Godsfield Press
First published: 2003 First published: 2009
Click here to go to Judy’s web site
Anyone can benefit from the subtle energies of healing, but it is not meant as a substitute for seeking medical advice from a qualified medical practitioner Therefore, if you are in any doubt about a medical condition you should consult your doctor in the first instance. This also applies to animals, and you should always seek veterinary advice about any medical or psychological condition concerning animals. The healing properties mentioned throughout this site in relation to crystals and gemstones represent views expressed in the public domain, and also those gained from personal experience.
We have not undertaken any scientific studies to verify their validity.
An A to Z Guide to Crystals & their Metaphysical Properties
Important Copyright Information
Whilst you are more than welcome to print off this guide for personal use, it is copyright information and, therefore, it is protected under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988. No part may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, recording or otherwise. Patinkas assert the moral right to be identified as the author.
All rights remain with the author.
Copyright © Patinkas 2013
Crystal meanings from Quartz properties to Siberian Blue Quartz and properties of Rose Quartz. Whether you want to know the meaning of the precious stones in your jewellery or which stone to use for chakra crystal healing or healing with Quartz - this guide has it all. Packed with crystal information and mineralogical details of your favourite gemstones including a ‘‘Must Have’ guide which lists useful groups of crystals such as Ascension Crystals, Crystals for the New Age and Meditation Crystals. For a list of chakra crystals, why not visit Fascinating Facts and see the Chakra Information Guide?
This Crystal Directory was last updated on
13 February 2013
Anyone can benefit from the subtle energies of healing, but it is not meant as a substitute for seeking medical advice from a qualified medical practitioner. Therefore, if you are in any doubt about a medical condition you should consult your doctor in the first instance. The healing properties mentioned throughout this site in relation to crystals and gemstones represent views expressed in the public domain. We have not undertaken any scientific studies to verify their validity.
SITE LAST UPDATED:
17 May 2013
This site is designed, created and maintained in-house by Patinkas
Secure Online Ordering via PayPal
We Welcome International Buyers Please Email for Shipping Costs